Talk

Advanced search

Worried about alcohol intake over Christmas

(10 Posts)
GlennRheeismyfavourite Wed 11-Jan-17 21:11:08

Hi all, DH & I always planned to start properly trying in Jan but did start having unprotected sex in Mid December - I never thought it would happen first time. Now I'm several days late, still waiting for AF and wondering if I am pregnant. I had three or four drinks for DH bday and on Christmas Eve. Is that terrible? Surely people must have the odd drink before they realise they're pregnant? Obviously not drinking now - and might not be pregnant anyway! (but really hoping I am!!)

user1483809827 Wed 11-Jan-17 21:16:56

Don't worry about it. People drink for weeks without realising they're pregnant. Baby will be fine. Good luck!

Oysterbabe Wed 11-Jan-17 21:39:26

Why don't you test?

Sonnet18 Wed 11-Jan-17 21:50:00

I fell pregnant over my birthday. I was drunk most days as I share a birthday with a close friend plus had two weddings in the same week. All is well!

confusedat23 Wed 11-Jan-17 21:51:16

Hi Glenn it takes a good few days for the egg to implant and even then you wont have a placenta anyway so i wouldn't worry too much about the Alcohol.. but i agree with Oyster you really should test just so you have an answer

flumpybear Wed 11-Jan-17 22:00:07

I'm with confused on this one, don't fret just don't drink til you know .... or eat all the banned foods etc .... smoking, drugs blah ... boring life for a bit ... but well worth it wink
Congratulations (hopefully!!!)

Thingymaboob Sat 21-Jan-17 16:58:21

Honestly don't worry, first 5ish weeks the foetus has not properly implanted. My friend had a crazy Xmas a few years ago - partying heavily. So heavily in fact that she totally forgot that her and her DP had sex one night until she thought hard about it. 6 weeks later she was fretting about pregnancy. Her DS is now 2 and is the size of a 4 year old. DS is very bright and advanced for his age.

Beewhisperer Sat 21-Jan-17 17:30:03

I had a very heavy Christmas last year compounded by a family death which sent my drinking into overdrive. On 14th Jan I realised I was pregnant. I was beside myself with worry but the docs reassured me.
16 Wk old dd is perfect and is reaching every milestone early.
Try not to worry. I know it is difficult.

Clankboing Sat 21-Jan-17 17:58:47

I did this with ds1. Dh and I spent a sleepy Sunday sharing a half bottle of baileys. Later I found out I was expecting. He's 16 now, doing well at school. Obviously I didn't continue the Sunday PM baileys habit :-/

Roomba Sat 21-Jan-17 18:13:58

If it's any reassurance, I didn't find out I was pregnant with DS2 until very late on. So over Christmas/New Year, when I would have been 8-12 weeks pregnant, I had at least 3 or 4 drinks every day. On a couple of occasions I had at least 7 or 8 drinks and was very drunk - it was also a stressful time for me and I let my hair down to cope with it.

After that I didn't drink as much, but still had 2 or 3 glasses of wine each week until I found out about DS2. I spent the rest of my pregnancy convinced he would have foetal alcohol syndrome after reading horror stories. Or that the stress would cause other health conditions for him.

He was absolutely fine, better than fine in fact. A good birth weight, always been very healthy, top of the class despite being the youngest and the happiest little chap you could meet (everyone says so!). Whereas DS1, from my teetotal pregnancy, has ADHD, Dyspraxia and was 6 weeks premature. So please, please don't panic, I'm sure it won't have had an effect at this stage

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now