Talk

Advanced search

Timing a smear test when TTC

(15 Posts)
blackcherries Tue 03-Jan-17 21:14:17

I've been ttc #2 for nearly a year, going to start IVF in the next couple of months. It's nearly 3 years since my last smear test so have had a letter saying I need to do one. As I'm ttc I want to do it around cycle day 6-9ish so after AF but way before ovulation.

My GP surgery can't make appointments for within a few days unless there are cancellations! I've explained the circumstances and they just said 'oh, we've never come across that before. What do you want to do?'. Their own nurse staff advise not to be screened if there's a possibility you're pregnant. So I'm just going to have the same situation every month where I ring up on CD1 and they don't have any appointments for days 6-9! Am I going mad? This can't be too unusual, can it?

Spam88 Tue 03-Jan-17 22:00:05

Don't have any advice but I'm surprised by this, I'd have thought it was standard not to do a smear during the 2ww. Are your cycles regular enough for you to book it a cycle ahead?

blackcherries Tue 03-Jan-17 22:06:57

The receptionist did seem a little clueless, initially said the advice of a nurse was to 'do a pregnancy test before you have your smear' errr well that's only going to help after the 2ww isn't it!?

Cycles were regular up until a few months ago! But could try it I suppose. I've emailed them to say that their appointments policy means I could be waiting years for a screening!
I know I could not ttc one month but it's such a small thing to lose a month over. (Plus getting the ball rolling with IVF already).

Pinkgeek Tue 03-Jan-17 22:10:20

I had a smear test in my 2ww and the nurse assured me it was 100% safe at any point before and during pregnancy.

Pinkgeek Tue 03-Jan-17 22:13:58

I really don't want to come across as mean but a smear test isn't a small thing , it really could save your life. I totally understand that potentially losing a month of Ttc is frustrating (have been ttc #1 for 4 years so I truly do know!) but it is so important. blush

Badhairday1001 Tue 03-Jan-17 22:18:03

I could never book mine due to really irregular periods, my local family planning/ sexual health clinic offered a drop in service for smears, so I just used to go there instead.

eurochick Tue 03-Jan-17 22:27:40

Other countries do them in pregnancy so I wouldn't worry hugely about having one in the 2ww. You really don't need to stop ttc to have it.

Partyofthree Tue 03-Jan-17 22:32:09

Hi OP I was TTC for DD in 2013 I had my smear & I was ovulating at the time & fell pregnant 2-3 days after I had my smear, I actually think it helped me conceive. Good luck

blackcherries Tue 03-Jan-17 22:54:05

thanks everyone, yeah googling it shows there aren't necessarily any risks, it's just odd that that's the GP surgery's policy yet won't let me book around it.
badhairday that's a great idea, thanks.
TBH I'm so unlikely to get pregnant this cycle anyway (low sperm count) that I doubt it'll make any difference but it's still really annoying.

blackcherries Wed 01-Feb-17 08:35:05

I'm still gobsmacked by this as have tried again, they assured me that January was a busy month and next month I should ring on the first day of my period and they'd try to fit me in.
I duly did it only to be told there's absolutely nothing for 3 or 4 weeks (periods have become a bit irregular so difficult to book in advance).

It's literally impossible to get a smear test if you're trying to conceive. We're now starting IVF and obviously I'm starting to worry that I'm not completely up to date with my smears. It's not yet even 3 years since my last one so it's not like it's super urgent but I like to keep on top of these things.
This suggests to me that the NHS can't really take cervical screening seriously if you can't have one while ttc - surely thousands of people are in the same boat?
My sexual health clinic doesn't offer them. GPs are absolutely clueless.

delilahbucket Wed 01-Feb-17 09:21:46

You can't have IVF without an up to date smear so I suggest you prioritise it. I couldn't even have an infirtility referral without getting a smear as it was over two years. Having a smear when TTC bears no relevance to pregnancy. It is completely safe even when pregnant. I had one at 9dpo. Having had a friend go through cervical cancer last year, only caught through having a smear and therefore saving her life, I know more than most that it is vital you get that smear done ASAP.

blackcherries Wed 01-Feb-17 14:23:36

Thanks for your reply. The IVF clinic haven't mentioned smears at all but I guess i've been up to date until now.
I've been trying to make it a priority by literally phoning for an appointment the day I received the letter then the next working day after my period started this month! It's their own policy that says you shouldn't have it if there is a risk of pregnancy, I'm more relaxed about it.

Anyway, have had to book one in for a few weeks' time as I'll only have started taking some of the drugs by then which doesn't matter. Only thing is if there is an issue to be sorted out then I'll need to start again another month.

Namechangenumber10 Tue 07-Feb-17 13:49:49

I had a similar issue recently, and in the end I decided to just suck it up and miss a month of TTC. I was pretty angry but my consultant (recurrent miscarriage patient here) said it's a box that needs to be ticked and it's worth making sure you just get it done, then you can forget all about it.

I think you can attend a "walk in" smear appointment at certain sexual health clinics though, so it might be worth looking online to see if there are any in your area, then you could just decide on the day. I went via the GP route and my results were really quick (about 10 days I think) so you could still get it all boxed off pretty quickly.

GP surgeries really should be flexible about their rules on appointment-booking when it comes to this, because they are desperate to encourage women to attend their smears!

DarcyParty Tue 07-Feb-17 15:35:31

Hi black cherry, I was in the same situation (minus ivf), except it was my first smear test and I was a little terrified. Following everyone's advice on here I went ahead and booked it, everything was fine, the nurse reassured me there was no problem having the test when ttc. Even gave me a few tips grin good luck!

PerspicaciaTick Tue 07-Feb-17 15:41:29

I used to have my smear tests done at a local well woman clinic which ran a drop-in centre, literally turn up and queue to get your test. The results went to my GP surgery as usual. Are there any alternatives in your area - even if you have to go a bit out of your way?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now