Talk

Advanced search

TTC #1 : experiences when coming off microgynon

(24 Posts)
OnNaturesCourse Tue 03-Jan-17 17:23:59

This is my first post so... Hi grin

Partner and I recently made the decision to try for our 1st baby! wink so I came off my birth control.

Stupidly however I think I screwed up...
20, 21, 22, & 23 Dec I forgot to take the birth control, call it Christmas panic, but did not have sex around this time. I took the birth control on 24 & 25 Dec but I was already having a withdrawal bleed (I was only started the pill packet on 13 Dec so literally a week or so before the forgotten pills) The bleed lasted 23-26 Dec and was super light (just a pantie liner used) Anyways we decided on the 26th Dec to just scrap the birth control and see what nature does. No further bleeding has happened.

Anyway I have since read you should wait until the end of a pill packet to stop?? hmm
Have I totally set us back by 1) forgetting the pills 2) having the accidental withdrawal bleed because of the missed pills 3) stopping the pill half way through a pack? confused

Feel like I've really messed this up. Should have done my reading first...

What are your experiences of stopping birth control??

Also I'm trying to track my temperature so see when my ovulation starts again.. I know it can years to reset etc shock... Anyone any experience on this??

Thank you in advance
star

JB1983 Tue 03-Jan-17 18:03:45

Hi
I was on microgynon for years so came off well in advance of TTC to let my cycles get back to normality. After my withdrawal bleed it was about 55 days before I got my first real period.
I think the main reason women are advised to wait on their first period before TTC is that if you do fall pregnant before your period then it can be hard to pinpoint dates.
My periods are now somewhat regular but did take quite a while to settle in to a rhythm however as these boards will show you everyone is different.
Good luck on your TTC journey x

OnNaturesCourse Tue 03-Jan-17 18:12:47

grin

Thank you for the reply.

I think I'll just maybe see what nature does now I'm off the pill?

I get really anxious about health things so I know I'll get worried if there is no period or pregnancy but I think these pages will help me since I'm not alone!

Buglife Tue 03-Jan-17 18:18:56

My doctor told me that if you aren't taking protection, you can get pregnant, simple. I stopped in Nov 2014 and had a positive pregnancy test by 20th December. It doesn't affect your fertility or anything, as PP said the most it can do is make you have slightly irregular periods to start with so you may find it harder to track your ovulation and dtd at the 'right time'. But there is so much said about coming off the pill for ages before pregnancy when really if you aren't using protection and have no other fertility issues you should get pregnant. It's easy to be swayed, but you can spend years worried (and being told) that missing a pill or having unprotected sex once will mean you get pregnant but as soon as you think about trying you worry the pill means you won't get pregnant for months!

Buglife Tue 03-Jan-17 18:20:36

Also 'years to reset ovulation' sounds very unlikely to me, I'm not a doctor but if that were the case hardly anyone would ever get pregnant post pill.

Spud90 Tue 03-Jan-17 18:22:35

Not sure. I came off microgynon before getting pregnant with DS but I finished my pack, had my period then got pregnant. It could have messed your cycle up a little so you might not be able to guess ovulation days. Maybe just dtd regularly and see what happens then start trying properly in your next cycle.

LillyBugg Tue 03-Jan-17 18:24:50

I stopped mid pack. Had a withdrawal bleed. A month later had a period. Then a month later another. Then I was pregnant. Then this time I wasn't on any birth control and it took me ten months to get pregnant. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

OnNaturesCourse Tue 03-Jan-17 18:33:16

So either way it's just a game of hope atm.

Just need to "keep at it" wink

Dianapengie Tue 03-Jan-17 18:46:48

I've come off the pill about 7 days ago, I am going to wait until I have a full cycle before we actively TTC. Plus I don't want to be heavily pregnant when I get married in September. I am going to start the folic acid now though.

OnNaturesCourse Tue 03-Jan-17 19:01:13

Diane.... GOOD LUCK!!

stepmum88 Tue 03-Jan-17 19:05:09

Hi-I'm in the same situ- DH & I decide to start trying for my first after honeymoon, stopped pills 21st Nov, AF came 21-24th Dec (which for me was a LONG time- when on microG I had a day max), now just really really anxious to get my BFP. I know it can take ages, but aaggghhhh I just want it to happen NOW. Anyone else feeling like this? 😣

physicskate Tue 03-Jan-17 19:10:30

Yes stepmom and I've been trying for 9 months!

OnNaturesCourse Tue 03-Jan-17 19:16:18

Sorry , I'm new, what is BFP

Lindsaymarie89 Tue 03-Jan-17 19:24:11

stepmum88
im the same! stopped yasmin pill early november had withdrawal and then AF for 2 days 14th dec and no idea of ovulation days etc!
Loooongggg wait for either AF or positive pregnancy test over the next 2 weeks sad im tooo impatient!

Lindsaymarie89 Tue 03-Jan-17 19:24:13

stepmum88
im the same! stopped yasmin pill early november had withdrawal and then AF for 2 days 14th dec and no idea of ovulation days etc!
Loooongggg wait for either AF or positive pregnancy test over the next 2 weeks sad im tooo impatient!

stepmum88 Tue 03-Jan-17 19:49:21

OnNaturesCourse- Big Fat Positive. Love the Mumsnet abbreviations- so confusing!

stepmum88 Tue 03-Jan-17 19:50:42

LindsayMarie - I think the issue is you spend a good 10/12 years of your life trying desperately hard NOT to get pregnant , and when you do you have to wait bloody weeks to find out if you've been successful. Ahh

Lindsaymarie89 Tue 03-Jan-17 20:22:16

stepmum88
Yesss! 13 years of contraceptives.... these few weeks feel like much longer than those 13 years haha!
I'm like a crazy person i feel like im giving myself phantom pregnancy symptoms in an attempt to convince myself im pregnant.
Baby fever!!! come on bubs!!!

OnNaturesCourse Tue 03-Jan-17 20:34:11

Totally get that!

Spent 11 years avoiding pregnancy and a good few nights worrying about missed pills etc and now I want the complete opposite, like now!

I think because of my anxiety I'm worried about things not being as they should / it not working. So although I'm currently going along a "normal" course I'll panic like crazy when the long cycles / absent periods start!

MissyJones83 Tue 03-Jan-17 20:49:33

Hi onnaturescourse just wanted to say I also have really bad anxiety especially anything to do with health so I know how you feel!
I also came off microgynon, I had my last pill in October things have not been too erratic just slight difference each month in cycle length and my 'mid pains' seem later than usual so wonder if my ovulation is taking a while to settle.
Aside from that and no BFP yet all okay!
And ditto to years or avoiding preggo and worrying to the complete opposite now!!

Bubblegum89 Tue 03-Jan-17 20:57:04

I stopped mid-pack on 10th December. Had a two day withdrawal bleed on 14th. I ovulated on 28th. I don't think you harm yourself or your chances of conceiving by stopping mid-pack. I've been pregnant twice from doing it before. Plus there are people that miss one pill and end up pregnant. I think that it's more of a case of being more difficult to date a potential pregnancy. Coming off the pill, many women find that their cycles do not go back to normal straight away but that isn't down to stopping early, that's just down to stopping, period.

OnNaturesCourse Tue 03-Jan-17 22:18:30

Thank you. grin

I know stress and worry can have a bad effect overall so I think I'm just going to take a note of everything (bleeds, temp, etc) and try ovulation kits if I get any "feelings". That and regular dirty dances... blush and not worry about it for the first six months xx

sk1pper Wed 04-Jan-17 08:10:22

I was on Microgynon for 7 years before TTC. I did start trying before the pack was finished but I found I had a full blown period as soon as I stopped, and then my cycles were like clockwork from that bleed. Very unusual. Others have probably said already but it's suggested you finish the pack so it's easy to pinpoint you due date should you be lucky enough to fall straight away.

Also, I wouldn't worry about temping just yet. Honestly, it's the first thing you think about when you wake up and you don't need that stress when you've first started TTC. I wouldn't even suggest you use opks now, just take the first 4 months easy and see what happens. I'm 16 months TTC and my Doctor told me to stop temping and OPKing as most people conceive when they least expect it.

OnNaturesCourse Wed 04-Jan-17 08:14:55

Yeah, as my name suggests I might just stop trying to help and let nature take it course for a while but I'm extremely impatient confusedgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now