Talk

Advanced search

How long after coming off the pill do you start ovulation/conceive?

(9 Posts)
SilverClaire Sun 01-Jan-17 11:45:11

I'm 34 and about to come off the pill. How long can I expect to wait to start ovulating and then conceive. I know everyone is different, I would just like some idea of other experiences especially if you're a similar age.

Happy New Year x

SilverClaire Sun 01-Jan-17 11:59:56

App seemed to have posted several times! I've asked for the other threads to be deleted. Please reply to this thread. Sorry

MouseLove Sun 01-Jan-17 12:08:55

Hi Silver. I think it really depends from person to person. I don't think I ovulated on my first cycle. Which was 50 days long. Then my next cycle I think I ovulated on day 16 but my total cycle was 23 days long. I just got my BFP cycle 3 coming off Cerelle.

It was completely and utterly a shock. We didn't expect it at all since we were actually having a break due to other medical issues. Seems I might have ovulated early. I didn't really have any signs of ovulation this cycle at all.

I would expect to take a few cycles to regulate yourself but it's not uncommon to take up to 12 months. If you can mentally prepare yourself for that if it comes earlier like mine did you can be in shock for a little while.

SilverClaire Sun 01-Jan-17 15:00:28

thanks for the info Mouse. It's just hard to know when to come off the pill. I ideally wouldn't want to conceive too soon but I'm worried about leaving it later and it taking ages for my cycles to be regular, then taking ages to conceive due to my age. ahhh too much to consider.

BertieBotts Sun 01-Jan-17 15:02:19

There's no reason that you shouldn't ovulate straight away. It does seem that some people have oddities but it's not a given.

ohidoliketobe Sun 01-Jan-17 15:07:03

1st DC I came off the pill end of May. Positive pregnancy test start of October.
2nd DC came off the pill end of Nov positive pregnancy test start Jan!

Sshsecretenclosed Sun 01-Jan-17 15:51:19

I'm 29. Came off the pill two days ago, I'm really worried about not ovulating. My fingers are crossed for us both!

TurquoiseDress Sun 01-Jan-17 20:53:23

OP I was the same age as you when I came off the combined pill after more than a decade of taking it.

I got lucky- had a withdrawal bleed a few days after taking last pill, then afterwards waited for a real period...never got one, had BFP around CD45, was waiting for my period to return.

The same thing happened last year while attempting baby no.2
Unfortunately ended in MMC at 13 weeks and we are still TTC 6 months down the line...!

Good luck

Bubblegum89 Mon 02-Jan-17 01:16:39

I finished my pill mid-pack on 10th December and had a withdrawal bleed 14-16th December. I then went on to have a positive OPK on 26th and I'm guessing I ovulated on 28th (had a lot of cramping etc while OPK was positive for days then the cramping eased off as did my cm once my OPK turned negative) I think it really depends on your body, some people get pregnant the day after stopping the pill although that's uncommon. Some people take up to a year to conceive. I think it's just a case of going for it and seeing how it works for you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now