Talk

Advanced search

Ovulation pain or something else??

(5 Posts)
Bubblegum89 Tue 27-Dec-16 17:59:48

Most of yesterday, I was having cramps and pain in my ovaries. Mainly the right but the left one a bit as well. I also got a positive OPK yesterday. Today when I woke up, I was still having cramps and ovary pain which lasted into this afternoon but has since eased off completely. Now, I'm new to all of this plus I haven't ovulated in almost 2 years as I've been on birth control but is that normal?

I only ask because I was told after an ultrasound that I have some scar tissue in my uterus. The dr didn't go into much detail (she wasn't a gynaecologist) so I don't know how bad it is or where exactly it was, but I've read that ovulation pain can be an indicator of problems such as endometriosis and scar tissue from uterine surgery but it seemed that this was pain that was unbearable and interfered with your daily life and I wouldn't describe the pain as being near that bad.

I don't know whether to mention it to the dr or whether it was fairly normal? On a scale of 1-10 of pain with 10 being unbearable, I'd say the pain was about a 3 maybe 4 and was more just crampy and uncomfortable tbh. I'm just worried that this scar tissue is extensive and all of my TTC efforts are pointless.

Spam88 Wed 28-Dec-16 22:33:45

Wouldn't expect ovulation pains to occur on both sides. No idea what else it could be though sorry!

delilahbucket Mon 02-Jan-17 11:42:35

My ovulation cramps last around four days. They vary from stabbing pains pinpointed to one side to a general all over cramps accompanied with bloating. I feel horrendous with them. There's nothing wrong though, it's just my normal.

HungryHorace Mon 02-Jan-17 13:12:48

I'm the same as Delilah. Pain on both sides isn't unusual for me.

sk1pper Mon 02-Jan-17 15:08:14

Bubble - I have a great deal of experience with ovulation pain as I get it every cycle without fail. Before I started doing opks I used to wrongly assume it was trapped wind, but now I know it's ovulation pain as it occurs the same time every month. The pain is bearable, just a niggling sensation - enough for you to notice but not enough that you can't get on with the day to day. I also get it each side maybe every other cycle or so and then it will last for 2 days rather than 1. As far as I'm aware, this is completely normal. You can check the symptoms for ovulation pain on the NHS website and check it's in line with what you're feeling, if you have pain both sides it normally means you've ovulated from both ovaries rather than just the one.

Also, I was unfortunate enough to have a burst cyst on an ovary a few cycles ago...again around the time of ovulation. That started out feeling like ovulation pain, though it was a much duller ache and more noticeable. That developed into excruciating stabbing pain, it would have me doubled over in the street and nothing would help it...pain killers, hot baths. I was told by the NHS emergency line to go to hospital immeditately because they was worried it was an ectopic pregnancy (although I knew it was too early) or appendicitis. Turned out a cyst on my ovary had burst and the friction of the debri in my Fallopian tube was causing the severe pain. The doctor then said that he couldn't comment on the state of my fertility but turns out after my scan it was just a one off.

So if your pain is bearable and niggling - then I'd say it's just a healthy sign your ovaries are doing their job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now