Talk

Advanced search

21 day cycles... should I be worried???

(6 Posts)
DuRezidal Sun 25-Dec-16 21:51:57

The last 2 months I have had 21 day cycles. This seems really short as a full week less than the usual 28 days. I know there is times when people can short cycle but this has been spot on two months in a row.

When I was trying for my daughter I was around 25 days so never been long but wondering whether this is something I should head to the doctors about as no idea what it could mean in terms of my ability to have another baby.

We have just done Cycle 2 so only just starting out really, but I don't know enough to know whether 21 Days is deemed 'abnormal'.

MouseLove Sun 25-Dec-16 22:37:48

A 21 day cycle is not "normal" but it's not uncommon. You may find it hard to conceive or stay pregnant. HOWEVER you are probably not ovulating which might be your problem. Are you recently off birth control? I wouldn't worry at this early stage in your TTC journey. X

DuRezidal Mon 26-Dec-16 09:41:14

I haven't been on birth control since before I had my baby as we have used other methods. It's probably time to head to the doctors then as although we have only been TTC for 2 months there could be something wrong.

Mumoftwoyoungkids Mon 26-Dec-16 09:55:06

I have natural 20-23 day cycles. (Although I've been using hormonal contraception most of my adult life to try and escape from them.)

Both my children were conceived "less than 10 months from last pill to first gas and air". Easy pregnancy with Dd, early threatened miscarriage with ds but I didn't and then easy pregnancy.

The biggest impact for me is that my dates changed a lot in pregnancy - I walked into the 12 week scan thinking I was 12+ 3 and walked out at 13+4 as you tend to ovulate about 14 days before your next period, not 14 days after your last period as the traditional dating method makes. Meant that the midwives thought I'd cocked up my dates which was very annoying. (I'm a mathematician. There isn't much I do well but counting is one of the Month!)

It also means that you can conceive at very funny times. Pretty sure that Dd was conceived during a "just for fun" shag in a jacuzzi in the Maldives not one of the "earnest, determined, trying for a baby" shags we had later in the month.

Best advice I can give you is to not count dates but to have lots and lots of sex even if you are sure it is the wrong time.

MouseLove Mon 26-Dec-16 14:09:24

Ahhhhhhh. Are you breastfeeding or was recently? That might be a reason. Docs probably will just tell you to keep trying, since you already have a child the NHS usually won't help anymore.

DuRezidal Tue 27-Dec-16 07:09:31

No not breastfeeding.

I am pretty certain af is a few hours away as been spotting for a few days and today is CD21.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now