Talk

Advanced search

OPK or BBT help please?!

(18 Posts)
Dogdays200 Mon 19-Dec-16 10:56:59

Hi Everyone,

I have been tracking my BBT every month and using OPKs but I am very confused this month. I should add I have PCOS and so I don't get a temp spike at the same time each month. I also have never had a positive OPK before.

According to my BBT I had my temp spike two days ago (temp has stayed up since), however OPKs were negative. Today my temp is still elevated however now the OPKs are positive. I've had tender breasts yesterday and today also but this has never happened to me before.

I have had a really nasty cold for the last few days and a really bad headache. Could this be why my temp isn't matching my OPKs? Does being sick alter your OPK readings?

My ovulation dates follow no pattern, in fact I'm pretty sure I haven't ovulated at all since I started temping. I'm going to BD today anyway just to be on the safe side, but I am worried I missed my window due to temp spike two days ago

What is going on?!!

MotherOfBeagles Mon 19-Dec-16 20:20:26

Sorry your confused @dogdays200, i havent got much knowledge or experience of PCOS but didnt want to read and run. I think youve done the right thing trying to get some dtd in now. But i havent always had positive or anywhere near positive OPKS so months but my temps show i ovulated. Try and take it with a pinch of salt if you can and enjoy christmas!

I hope it works out for you!

Dogdays200 Tue 20-Dec-16 06:20:41

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I've had no ovulation pain whatsoever, only sore breasts. So I'm not sure I am actually ovulating.

MotherOfBeagles Tue 20-Dec-16 07:41:50

I don't always have pain, apparently a lot of women never do. But sore boob is a good sign because progesterone does that and that's the hormone from and after ovulation.

Dogdays200 Tue 20-Dec-16 07:52:20

Thanks, they've been the most painful they ever have been this month. I'm hoping I've ovulated but I just don't want to allow myself to think it's possible I guess.

MotherOfBeagles Tue 20-Dec-16 07:55:42

Maybe keep dtd up just in case and keep temping but I'd say it's a pretty good sign =] try and relax a bit as well (I know I hate that phrase too) but it is true stress only make things worse. Distract yourself, have you got anything to focus on for Christmas? Wrapping or food shopping?

Dogdays200 Tue 20-Dec-16 08:22:00

Tbh I've been pretty sick with this cold the last few days and I've mostly just lounged around on the sofa! Not very conductive for 'keeping your mind off things' as they say!

I have a million and one thing to do though. This is my first month of properly ttc so I'm a bit confused and nervous about the whole thing!

MouseLove Tue 20-Dec-16 08:33:27

Put down the thermometer and OPK. Relax. It's your first cycle!!!! Lots of DTD and you might find yourself pregnant faster than obsessively tracking. Unless you need confirmation of ovulation for long tracking or you have irregular cycles, coming off BC don't worry about that so early in TTC journey. X

MotherOfBeagles Tue 20-Dec-16 08:35:27

Ah colds suck and definitely will knock your body out of whack so try and keep that in mind. I've been really ill and on and off meds so pretty much lost the last three cycles to illness. It's shit but it is what it is. I honestly think that so far those first few months were the hardest being impatient but you will get there =]

Also only track what you want! I'm one of those people who neeeeeeed to understand everything that's why I tracked and researched. If you aren't then ignore it all for now and just enjoy the dtd wink for a few months lol

Dogdays200 Tue 20-Dec-16 08:47:00

I have pcos and as far as I know I don't normally ovulate. I've been tracking for months now while I tried to lose a few lbs and get in better shape.

This month I took iso flavones to see if that would make me ovulate and I was expecting it to do absolutely nothing, so now I'm in a bit of a tizz because I was so sure it wouldn't work, but according to the opks it might have worked after all!

Having pcos I expected this to be a really long and hard journey, so I think I'm just more shocked than anything because I never thought I would ovulate without going to get clomid or something.

Dogdays200 Tue 20-Dec-16 11:50:38

Still quite dark today but no longer positive

Dogdays200 Tue 20-Dec-16 18:29:43

Took another one just and second line is virtually non existent.

Is that right?

MotherOfBeagles Tue 20-Dec-16 18:32:38

Yes it will go negative very quickly after ovulation

Dogdays200 Wed 21-Dec-16 07:27:34

Took my temperature and it has stayed high this morning. Hopefully it stays high! I end up dreading taking my temperature because I feel like 'is this the day it will drop back down'

MotherOfBeagles Wed 21-Dec-16 07:48:13

Can you not take your temp instead then? I know you need to track for weird cycles but if it stresses you out that much it's not good.

Also good news it's stayed up =]

Dogdays200 Wed 21-Dec-16 08:18:39

Because of my cycles there is no other way of tracking what's happening. Even positive opks can mean nothing with pcos I just found out. It really does stress me out, but I don't think there is anything else I can do apart from leave everything to chance!

physicskate Wed 21-Dec-16 10:11:00

Maybe you had high temps because of a small fever?? I've had a cold and it's thrown my chart right out the window with slight elevations in temps at weird times.

Dogdays200 Wed 21-Dec-16 10:20:37

Yes I think my earlier high temps were as a result of my illness, but since they've stayed high and I'm not better I'm hoping it might mean the opks were correct and I did ovulate this month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now