Talk

Advanced search

Where's my cervix??

(19 Posts)
Bubblegum89 Sat 17-Dec-16 12:35:59

So I've read a few times that you can tell when you're ovulating depending on where your cervix is. I've just downloaded a tracker as I've come off the pill and want to see how my cycle gets back to normal but on there tracker, you can input stuff every day. One of the questions was about how high/low your cervix is, how soft/hard it is and if it appears open or closed. I was intrigued so I decided to have a feel. I've just had a withdrawal bleed (2 heavy days, 2 spotting) and I cannot for the life of me find my cervix. My longest finger (sorry, tmi. It was a clean finger though lol) just seemed to keep going and going until I couldn't go up anymore due to having no more finger left! It all felt the same. But I thought that it would be low or at least a little easier to find considering I'm not ovulating or pregnant. I've had a smear before and the nurse didn't seem to have an issue finding it (although she had to go and get a wider speculum haha) Is there a reason it would be out of reach or feel the same as the rest of my vagina? I'm not particularly worried, I just thought it was odd given that I've just finished a bleed...

myoriginal3 Sat 17-Dec-16 12:38:53

I can't reach mine either. I'm always fascinated by people who can.

Bubblegum89 Sat 17-Dec-16 12:42:24

Glad it's not just me!

OfficerMeowMeowFuzzyface Sat 17-Dec-16 13:00:31

What position are you in when you're trying to feel it? Try squatting (or sitting on the loo), or lying on your back but with your knees up. I only know this because I had a coil, and you have to check the threads regularly to make sure it's in place so the doctor made sure I knew how - she said that most of the women she saw didn't know how to check their cervix either!

Bubblegum89 Sat 17-Dec-16 13:13:53

I lay on my back with my knees up. I'll try squatting then lol I'm just interested to know what it feels like confused

bassetmum Sun 18-Dec-16 18:53:45

I found mine by squatting. It feels smoother than the walls of my vagina. I can also feel all the way around it (like a donut). Mines is just off to the left hand side of my body. The best time to find it is just after your af as it is generally at its firmest and lowest.

MoonlightMojitos Sun 18-Dec-16 19:28:15

Mine is really low personally so I don't even have to put my finger all the way in but it's right near the back so I have to get the angle right, if I felt straight up I'd miss it. Might just be a case of having a feel around 😂. There are easier ways to track though!

Mungobungo Sun 18-Dec-16 19:33:10

Try a squat next time. And the vaginal wall feels ruffly. Cervix feels smooth and gristly, like the end of your nose. It may be pointing to one side or another or even toward your bum so go slowly and swish about.

ScarletForYa Sun 18-Dec-16 19:36:16

If you're tall you can't.

CatsCantFlyFast Sun 18-Dec-16 19:43:16

Also try different times in your cycle - it may be that when it's high it's out of reach but you'll find you can reach it when it's lower

OfficerMeowMeowFuzzyface Sun 18-Dec-16 20:00:43

If you're tall you can't.

I'm 5'10 and I can feel mine (though, again, only in certain positions)!

Seven0fNine Sun 18-Dec-16 20:34:32

I'm in totally the same boat. I'm totally bemused about what I'm supposed to be feeling for and get a bit weirded out doing it! I think I'll have a squat now! haha

Bubblegum89 Sun 18-Dec-16 23:15:13

I'm only 5'2 so pretty tiny lol I'm gonna go and squat and see. I've just finished a bleed so should it be low-ish?

MotherOfBeagles Mon 19-Dec-16 20:22:44

The only place i can find mine is sat on the toilet, legs spread like a bloke on a bus and push down with my pelvic floor muscles. If its high i really do i have to reach, but i only got to know what was high and low after a few cycles. Have you seen this website? its really helpful!

beautifulcervix.com/

Bubblegum89 Fri 23-Dec-16 18:17:42

I found it! It felt like the end of your nose like I've read it does. But boy, did I have to go in. Up to the knuckle in fact blush I'm assuming that's what I felt up there anyway. It felt like a small ball, couldn't feel any kind of opening though. Does that sound about right?

MotherOfBeagles Tue 27-Dec-16 17:44:49

That's it! I can never feel the opening either, when I'm ovulating it sort of feels like a little tiny slit but that's all. Have you tried different positions to see if that makes it any easier? I struggle unless my legs really are spread. Have to do what my dh refers to as a kiddy wee and drop my pants around my ankles otherwise I can't spread my knees far enough.

Bows85 Sun 08-Jan-17 21:53:16

Hi everyone... I wonder if anyone might be able to help (I realise this thread was a couple of weeks ago so hoping someone out there is still watching!)

How would you know if your cervix is open? I definitely found mine this evening after a few different positions and feeling about! I have no idea if it's high or low as this is the first time I've had a good go at finding it. There is a definite dimple in the middle and my cm is clear and wet (not ew though). Would I be able to find this dimple if it was closed?

Any advice would be great. On CD26 without a positive OPK so clutching at straws that I'm having a long cycle this month rather than my fear that I'm not ovulating...

TIA smile

MotherOfBeagles Mon 09-Jan-17 17:48:04

I've been checking mine for 6 months but not managed to figure that out. I think some women do struggle to find theirs

Bows85 Mon 09-Jan-17 22:48:14

Thanks mother! I never thought I'd be asking questions about the position of my cervix grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now