Talk

Advanced search

Pelvic ultrasound

(7 Posts)
Alibaba2 Fri 16-Dec-16 12:46:37

Hello,

I'm having a pelvic ultrasound at the hospital next week which is part of basic fertility investigations my GP is offering.

Does anyone know what they will be looking for and whether they will tell me on the day or whether the scans go to my GP to look at?

Will they look at follicles and uterine lining? Or would I have to have an ultrasound within a fertility department to get that info?

TIA

emmag1984 Fri 16-Dec-16 14:04:31

Normally if it's a pelvic ultrasound that your GP has ordered, they will look at your uterus, to make sure that it is normal anatomically and look at the lining to make sure that it is the correct thickness for where you are in your cycle.

They'll also look at the ovaries and check that there aren't any cysts. They don't tend to look at the resting follicles, which can be a marker of ovarian reserve, but again depending upon where you are in your cycle they may see a dominant follicle (prior to ovulation), or the corpus luteum (the ruptured follicle following ovulation).

It depends upon the sonographer how much they tell you at the time. Mostly they don't give you the full results and you need to speak to your GP once the results have been sent through. This isn't a sign that there is a problem, but often the results of the scan need to be interpreted in conjunction with your medical history which the sonographers don't have.

Good luck

MmmMalbec Fri 16-Dec-16 14:06:13

I had this and it was just very basic. Checking for PCOS and any abnormalities, didn't go in to my cycle or anything like that. They told me it looked normal but said I would get the official results through my GP. Good luck.

sk1pper Fri 16-Dec-16 17:48:48

I had mine recently, if they offer you an internal one too - take it. It's uncomfortable but they get a much better picture.

It will basically measure your lining thickness and whether you've got any abnormalities. They check ovaries for cysts too. My sonographers were great, they told me then and there everything was fine and the Doctor confirmed it later. I think they wouldnt mind you asking a ton of questions if you want things explained a bit more. Make sure you drink plenty!

Alibaba2 Fri 16-Dec-16 20:25:43

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful.

Skipper, how are you getting on?

sk1pper Fri 16-Dec-16 20:49:03

Fine thank you smile

I'm just a little ahead of you, had all my initial tests but there were no apparent issues. My GP referred me a couple of weeks ago and my appointment with the clinic is just after New Year's Day. It's all moved so quickly I can't believe it.

I hope your results are okay too, though I think some of the hormone related issues are quite an easy fix. Hopefully we both won't need any of it and we'll have our BFPs before we need medical intervention.

Alibaba2 Fri 16-Dec-16 23:43:01

Here's to that Skipper! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now