Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone experienced drop off in fertility while ttc subsequent children?

(6 Posts)
carriebradshawshandbag Tue 29-Nov-16 23:27:04

I have three children aged 5, 3 and 1 and am considering a fourth. I was exceptionally lucky to conceive quickly; #1 and #2 were conceived first cycle of trying when I was 30 and 32 respectively. #3 was conceived third cycle when I was 34, first cycle was a chemical pregnancy and second was an early miscarriage at 6 weeks.

If I had a fourth child I will be 36 when we are ttc. I have read a lot about the post-35 drop off in fertility and just wondered whether anyone has experience of this when they have previously conceived quite quickly? I am fully aware of how incredibly lucky I am to have three beautiful children who came along quickly, I am just curious to hear anyone's experiences in this area.

Cucumber5 Tue 29-Nov-16 23:40:25

Yes. 1st child was 6 months. Second I needed clomid drug to conceive. Go to your GP after 6 months of TTC and ask for a day 21 progesterone test.

MmmMalbec Wed 30-Nov-16 06:39:36

Sorry to hijack but I don't come across many threads with people who conceived 1 easily and didn't clomid for 2. I'm currently on my first clomid cycle. Do you mind sharing your experience with me cucumber?

MmmMalbec Wed 30-Nov-16 06:40:08

That's supposed to say needed clomid for 2!

SeahorseBlue Wed 30-Nov-16 13:29:43

I am wondering the same thing. First time ttc at age 33 I got pregnant in cycle 2, unfortunately I had a mmc at 10 weeks for which I needed medical management for mc. It then took 6 months to conceive a second time (dc1) again at age 33, I did wonder if the drugs were the reason it took a while the second time. I began ttc dc2 when I was 35 and got pregnant in the first cycle. I am now in the first cycle of ttc number 3 at the age of 36, nearly 37.

Dcs are 2 and a half and almost 1. If I was younger I would probably have left a bigger age gap, but the worry of decreased fertility after 35 has convinced me to start trying now.

carriebradshawshandbag Fri 02-Dec-16 00:06:41

I have read quite a bit about the statistics behind the post-35 decline but I think obviously it just varies a lot from person to person. Good luck SeahorseBlue!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now