Talk

Advanced search

When is the best time to take a pregnancy test?

(7 Posts)
Jade246 Mon 28-Nov-16 21:48:26

I was hoping someone could give me a bit of advice.
I am 23 and not currently trying for a baby but I had unprotected sex on day 9 of my cycle. Usually my cycle lasts for 27 days which according to my app means i ovulate around day 14. How likely is the chance that i could fall pregnant this month? When would be the best time to take a test as im not sure when hcg levels start to show. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks x

AppleMagic Mon 28-Nov-16 21:51:35

It's possible you are pregnant as you might not ovulate exactly when you think you do and sperm can hang around a while (5 days I think).
You can usually get a clear result a day or two before you would normally get your period. Some people get positives earlier than that but not everybody.

jadeyty Mon 28-Nov-16 21:52:14

My cycle was 32 days and I got a faint positive sign around 5 days before period due. I also ovulated on day 14. Now 16 weeks pregnant! Any line, even if it's faint indicates a positive and the hcg levels double everyday I think.

Jade246 Mon 28-Nov-16 22:08:04

Thank you for the advice, i think the hardest part is having the patience to wait, its literally all i can think about.

jadeyty Tue 29-Nov-16 08:08:31

Look out for other symptoms e.g mild cramping should be sooner

TerriB84 Tue 29-Nov-16 08:16:19

Definitely wait until your period is due and make sure you use the first wee of the day. Yes it's true that some women can get a positive result as early as 4 or 5 days before expected period (depending on brand) but not everyone will detect this early. So as hard as it is waiting is really the best option here.

Jade246 Tue 29-Nov-16 19:16:12

Thank you, i will wait till my period is due. I have probably jumped to conclusions a bit but i panicked. Im only day 11 in my cycle and had unprotected sex on day 9 but i think i may be ovulating. I started getting mild cramping on one side of my lower abodmin which is making me think im even more likely to get a positive pregnancy test next month if I'm ovulating 2 days after unprotected sex .... but we will see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now