If I have regular periods...

(3 Posts)
SpunBodgeSquarepants Wed 23-Nov-16 21:10:39

...is it pretty safe to say I am also regularly ovulating?

My cycles are between 30-40 days long, and I can accurately guess when my period is going to start by tracking ewcm (I get around eight days of this every cycle!!)

I conceived DS on cycle 2 three years ago, when I weighed around 15 stone. I have been TTC now for 18 months and nothing. This time I am just under 18 stone. I can only imagine my bad luck is something to do wit my weight?

Gingerchoc14 Wed 23-Nov-16 23:40:41

Hi there, sorry to hear you've been trying for a while - I know how depressing and frustrating it can be... I'm no expert, but I'd say that if you've been ttc longer than a year, you should go to your GP and request investigations. They should offer you the day 2 and day 21 (of your cycle) tests to check hormone levels. 30-40 days seems like quite a wide range, so maybe that warrants further investigation to see what could be throwing your cycles out. You can also start taking your temperature every morning to check for a temp rise to confirm ovulation is happening (ewcm is a good sign it is as you say), though the only way to know for sure is a day 21 blood test - even then that can often prove inconclusive and require re-esting the following month. Basically, the testing is a rather long, drawn-out process, so good to get the ball rolling if you've already been trying for 18 months. As far as the weight goes, they like you to be within the right bmi range and there's a calculator on the NHS website you can use to see where you are within that and you can raise it with your GP if it looks like it's an issue. Good luck!

MouseLove Thu 24-Nov-16 00:31:24

Not necessarily just your weight but some ladies suffer from fertility problems after giving birth. I think it's called secondary infertility. However, I think it wouldn't hurt to lose at least 2-3 stones to get your size back down and I'm guessing your BMI closer to 30. That's the first suggestion a doctor will give you. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now