Talk

Advanced search

How much folic acid do you take?

(3 Posts)
JeNeBaguetteRien Tue 25-Oct-16 13:54:44

Hello, just wondering as I started out taking folic acid supplements (400 micrograms) and then moved on to Pregnacare conception which has other vitamins etc. added.
I went to Barcelona for a few days and forgot my supplement so bought some folic acid tablets in a pharmacy and the dosage is 5 milligrams per tablet. It's called ACFOL. There was no language issue, the phramacist knew I was TTC and not yet pregnant. The box says a prescription is needed but she sold me 2 boxes. And now I'm wondering if maybe I've been taking too little if they take 5mg as standard in other countries?
Anyone with some factual knowledege? Thanks!

LurkyLurkerMcLurkface Tue 25-Oct-16 13:57:39

You take 5mg if you have risk factors for needing a higher folic acid dose; BMI >30, neural tube defect in the family, on anti epilepsy meds etc. Have a look on the NHS website as I think they have a page

furryminkymoo Wed 26-Oct-16 13:05:12

I was just taking pregnacare Conception support but the NHS fertility unit have put me on 5mg and have said to continue taking Pregnacare Pregnancy vits.

I am older (41) so maybe that is why they have suggested it but I don't think that taking more than 400 micrograms is harmful in anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now