Talk

Advanced search

Stopped Cerazette..when can I expect to get back to normal?

(15 Posts)
Thunderwing Fri 14-Oct-16 13:48:13

DH and I would like to TTC baby #2, so we had made the choice that I would stop the pill, use condoms for a couple of months to let my body get back to normal and then actively TTC in the new year.

I began taking Cerazette 3 years ago and have had absolute zero bleeding in that time. I've forgotten what it's like to be on my period I think!

I took my last pill on 20th Sept, within a few days I had agonising period pains which lasted for days. Every time I moved or stood up I felt like my whole womb weighed a ton and was going to fall out! I also had a lot of mucus so I thought I was probably ovulating, but the pains never stopped.

Still no sign of AF though... but it's been 24 days so I suppose it could arrive any time now!

Has anyone else had the experience of coming off Cerazette? Did anyone else feel a lot of pain/discomfort? What's going on, what should I expect?

twocatsandatoddler Fri 14-Oct-16 13:57:03

I came off Cerazette to conceive twice, both times my period arrived exactly 28 days after I stopped taking it. Like you I didn't have periods at all when taking it. I think it's different for everyone though. Both times I gave myself two cycles before conceiving but I was regular as clockwork straight away (27-28 days between periods) and conceived first cycle of trying both times so I probably didn't actually need to give my body the time to adjust.

I don't remember pains and discomfort after stopping, but it's probably just your body adjusting to a 'normal' hormone cycle again. I do remember that the first period afterwards was heavier and a bit more painful than normal though, the subsequent ones were much lighter.

Thunderwing Fri 14-Oct-16 14:22:59

Thank you Twocats, I am impatiently waiting for my period to arrive now.

I imagine the first 'proper' one will be a bit heavier than my normal as it's been so long!

WantingBaby1 Fri 14-Oct-16 14:43:30

Hi,

Iwas on it for 2 - 3 yrs and didn't habe periods at all. when I came off I had pregnancy-type symptoms for the first 2 weeks or so; bloating, painful boobs, bad stomach aches etc. I got my period 5 wks after coming off and it lasted for about 5 days. The 5 week wait felt like an age!

Good luck x

Thunderwing Fri 14-Oct-16 14:49:08

Thank you Wanting - I have to remind myself that it's only been 3 weeks and to be patient!

And YY to the sore boobs, can't bear to be bra-less at the minute because my nipples are so sensitive and sore!

haveacupoftea Fri 14-Oct-16 14:52:56

My body recovered really quickly after cerazette so hopefully yours will be the same!

MouseLove Fri 14-Oct-16 16:26:17

I'm on CD29 today and was on cerelle for a year before then (same as cerazette) and I was on a combi pill for 11 yrs before that.

For the last 29 days I've been soooooo uncomfortable. Bloated, tummy ache, back ache, heavy boobs. Not really any preggo signs but just a constant AF feeling. I didn't have any kind of withdrawal bleed.

DancingUnicorn Sat 15-Oct-16 12:47:29

Think I've been pretty lucky. I stopped taking the beginning of August and AF came about 3.5 weeks later. So far seems to be pretty much straight back to normal for me. Definitely v painful, but it's been so long I can't remember whether or not that's normal.

Also planning to start TTC in the new year. I've never really been one for counting cycle days, but I think I'd better start!!

MomWobble Sat 15-Oct-16 19:15:43

Sorry I have just posted about this.. should have looked here first! I had nothing for 3 months, a negative test, and then 2 very painful and very heavy bleeds within 2 weeks (separately). Sore boobs, terrible headaches and rhinitis (same as when pg with dd1), I am eating us out of house and home, and am miserable as sin!

Spam88 Sat 15-Oct-16 21:54:13

I was taking it for 7 years. Had my first period 5 weeks after coming off it, and was regular from then on.

MillieMoodle Sat 15-Oct-16 22:20:17

I was on it for 7 months, bled constantly and had awful backache all the time. Came off it in January 2015. Periods were all over the place, cycles varied from 23 days to 45 days. Finally conceived in December 2015 and DS2 is now 4 weeks old grin

Previously I'd been on the combined
Pill for years, came off it and conceived DS1 the first month, so I wasn't expecting it to take so long second time round. Cerazette really didn't suit me!

Good luck OP smile

Sgoinneal Sat 15-Oct-16 22:24:40

My body never got back to normal after Cerazette. I conceived my son a long, long time after coming off it with often no periods for months. I've got two children now and I still can't predict my cycle though I was very regular before.

I don't mean to be the voice of doom but I was brushed off a lot, and the minute I got pregnant the midwives all said 'oh Cerazette, yes that can be an issue'. Whether that's fair or not, who knows. My cycle is all over the place but I obviously ovulated. I'm hoping a period of no pregnancy, no ttc/mc,no bf and no pill will mean it goes back to normal. Hope you find it an easier ride flowers

JennyOnAPlate Sat 15-Oct-16 22:26:28

I had a period about 4 weeks after coming off it. The period lasted for 4 weeks!

OVO1410 Sun 16-Oct-16 01:11:13

I've been on cerazette for 13 years in total. First time I stopped taking it, AF came after 7 weeks and then I conceived 3 weeks later. Second time, AF came after 4 weeks and then I conceived 6 weeks later. So I wasn't someone who was regular immediately after stopping the pill but it also didn't cause any problems conceiving. Regarding symptoms, both times I had cramps and nausea from a couple of days after my last pill until AF came. HTH

Thunderwing Sun 16-Oct-16 01:24:25

Thanks to all for your posts, and for the good luck wishes!

Seems to be a wide variation of experiences, will just have to wait and see I guess smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now