Talk

Advanced search

I think prenatal/preconception vitamins might be making me feel sick?

(9 Posts)
LisaSimpsonsbff Thu 29-Sep-16 10:09:21

I've been having weird bouts of nausea in the morning. Not pregnancy, sadly! I just realised that it seems to coincide with when I take my vitamins (Tesco own brand pregnancy multivitamins) in the morning (and therefore on an empty stomach), as opposed to when I forget and do it when I get home from work. Is this possible? Have other people found this?

MmmMalbec Thu 29-Sep-16 11:29:50

Yeah it's quite common to feel a bit sick when taking vitamins. The NHS says only folic acid and vitamin d are essential so maybe swap to those if you want to stop the conception ones?

jwww Thu 29-Sep-16 11:32:42

Yes you should eat before hand if you're being sick I found this helped but still felt queasy. I found eating in the morning and taking the tablets around lunch time was the best option for me.

Also size of tablets when I was taking preg scare they're huge tablets compared to the superdrug own brand I switched to which where tiny in comparison!

MouseLove Thu 29-Sep-16 11:42:27

I was taking my vitamins in the morning about an hour before my breakfast and realised it wasn't the best idea. I've now switched to taking them with my evening meal. You should ideally take them with food!

BiggerBoatNeeded Thu 29-Sep-16 12:01:20

Just to echo jwww, I swapped from Pregncare's horse pills to the far more manageable Seven Seas which are (ironically) the same size and packaging as the contraceptive pill. The Seven Seas still contain iron which some of the other smaller ones didn't and I am a bit anaemic so wanted this. I take these last thing at night and they don't make me feel queasy (the Pregnacare did).

jwww Thu 29-Sep-16 13:11:27

BiggerBoatNeeded I only started taking them when I found I was pregnant but I was so annoyed when I realised not all folic acid tablets are as huge, gross and expensive as the pregnacare!

AliceScarlett Thu 29-Sep-16 13:22:42

It might the iron. Take in the eve after food.

GoldPlatedBacon Thu 29-Sep-16 13:24:59

I came on to say exactly the same as Bigger, seven seas were better for me

LisaSimpsonsbff Thu 29-Sep-16 14:46:08

Thanks for the advice everyone - really helpful! I think it must be the folic acid itself as I used to take a multivitamin before TTC and never had this problem then. I'll try consistently taking it before bed (I eat dinner pretty late) and see how that goes. Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now