How strict are you with yourself? re. diet / vitamins / drinking / shagging

(11 Posts)
Flappergirl86 Sat 24-Sep-16 14:48:54

So I've been looking at things to do before / when trying to conceive and it basically appears that a Godly lifestyle (apart from the fornication out of wedlock) is super important.

I know its about personal choice and all but I'm curious to know what sacrifices and commitments people make and how bad other ladies feel about breaking them.

Have people packed in drinking? smoking? junk food? fish? nuts? caffeine? How much more exercise do you do if any? Have you lost weight? How much weight is too much? Do you shag every other day throughout your cycle or just when you're ovulating? I'm on anti-depressants as is my fella which affects our sex drive. If I quit them I'll get super depressed and bonkers -especially if TTC which makes me a bit nutty anyway because I want it so much.

This is my first month TTC and I've packed in smoking (was never a heavy smoker anyway, 1-3 a day) but the idea of sacrificing all fun stuff like slovenliness and booze when theres no guarantee when or even if I'll conceive is miserable.

What sort of balance do other TTCers out there recommend? xx

Thecontentedcat Sat 24-Sep-16 14:59:00

I've lost a bit of weight and upped my veg intake. We have not dtd enough due to work, so need to find a way around that. I have pretty much packed up drinking and feel so much better (and richer!) that I'm not sure I would go back. These have all been pretty gradual changes though.
Smoking is the big no no though so it's great you have stopped that.

Dazedandconfusedtoomuchpeppa Sat 24-Sep-16 15:03:32

We are TTC # 2 and on our second cycle! I am taking Pregnacare and Evening Primrose Capsules religiously and trying to lose weight. Apart from that it's life as normal! I feel like it could take a year or more so have to try and carry on as normal.

Lorrie3188 Sat 24-Sep-16 15:24:08

I decided not to overhaul my lifestyle completely because who knows how long it could take to conceive.
I take folic acid and stopped smoking. Still have drinks, but not crazy amounts, glass of wine or so. Light exercise like walking.
I figure if you're actively trying and testing, then there's only going to be 2 weeks where you don't know that you're pregnant yet. smile

MoonlightMojitos Sat 24-Sep-16 15:33:15

Was just taking folic acid, now moved on to pregnacare, and gave up smoking. I didnt drink at all first 3 months but now ive given in and decided to make the most of it until I get a BFP!!!. I keep telling myself I'll exercise more but I don't. Reasonably healthy diet 90% of the time, currently sat eating a KFC 😂.

Flappergirl86 Sat 24-Sep-16 17:11:33

Ah its so good to know people arent being militant about it! I've been taking pre-conception vitamins / folic acid too. I'm certain that has counteracted any bottles of wine I may have consumed....Thanks for your replies everyone x

lalaland1985 Sat 24-Sep-16 17:15:06

In pregnant just now after trying for one cycle. I took pregnacare conception vitamins and tried to get my 5 a day. I still drank though!

delilahbucket Sat 24-Sep-16 17:53:10

I started on a conception multi vitamin immediately and lost two stone. To begin with I didn't drink at all during the tww. Once it got to about six months in I became more lax. Cycle 17 we're on now. I still take a vitamin every day and have maintained my weight but anything else goes. Life is too short to put it on hold. We even booked a holiday in the hope that fate might intervene but we've been on that holiday and are looking to book the next one!
I think the main things are taking folic acid, maintaining or getting to a healthy bmi and stopping smoking. Our fertility clinic advised 1-2 units of alcohol a week for me and 3-4 for dp. He's just dropped to 5 units a week last week in an attempt to boost his sperm count as we have male factor infertility.

haveacupoftea Sun 25-Sep-16 01:05:18

Just be careful with the drinking, i read that you can kill some of the cells of the zygote through drinking too much. If you only kill one or two cells they can regenerate themselves but if you kill too many it won't be viable.

KittyWindbag Sun 25-Sep-16 03:43:57

I just took folic acid and started doing more exercise. I had already quit smoking a year prior, but I didn't stop drinking, I did drink less though. I think total abstinence from all joyful things just causes you to feel more fed up and resentful when the unsuccessful cycles roll by. Don't put your whole life on hold.

For sex, get a couple of ovulation tracker apps and time your sex according to your most fertile days, if doing it very regularly isn't possible for you.

Flappergirl86 Sun 25-Sep-16 16:16:03

Thanks everone, seems you all have a healthy sane approach to it! I'll follow your lead(s) xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now