Talk

Advanced search

OPK advice following miscarriage- are these becoming positive? No idea...

(11 Posts)
TurquoiseDress Sat 10-Sep-16 15:13:38

Hi everyone

Had a MMC at 13 weeks a few months back.

Would like to be pregnant again but no idea in terms of following KH cycle etc.

Bought some OPKs shortly after the loss- never used them before but wanted to feel like I was doing something useful.

Got my first period about 4 weeks after MMC, and the next one the cycle was about 33 days.

No idea what my normal cycles are like as I've taken the Pill for over a decade and each time I've stopped, had withdrawal bleed then got pregnant.

What do you make of these tests?
The bottom one is from today- CD17- are they positive or developing into a positive?

Have used OPKs on/off for the last month or so and was so shocked to get a 2nd line 2 days ago that I kept it!

Only ever positive I got was when I was still testing positive for pregnancy after the MMC.

Was going to throw the OPKs out as I figured they were rubbish...until now.

Any thoughts please?

physicskate Sat 10-Sep-16 16:06:49

Bottom one looks not quite positive. It looks like you might be a 'slow riser' which means in future you can tell well in advance of ov, as that is when dtd is most likely to lead to pregnancy.

I know it's probably a bit gross, but I've kept my opks and glued them in order to a sheet, which means I can compare in the future. I too get a darker line for a day or two before positive. So I can look back and say 'ah yes, I am probably three days from ov' for example!

I also use bbt to confirm that ov actually took place.

TurquoiseDress Sat 10-Sep-16 16:38:36

Thanks for the info physicskate

Ok so I might be building up to a darker line ie a positive

I figured that with a 33 day cycle, ovulation would be around CD19 (14 days before period due).

Will definitely test tomorrow & day after to see!

That's not a bad idea keeping them for future reference.

Haven't done BBT as it sounds like a faff, just done OPKs for now.

But actually, anything that might speed things up will be useful...I'm 38 and wondering if all my luck has run out! confused

TurquoiseDress Sun 11-Sep-16 11:23:42

Any other ladies with advice or experiences please?

MmmMalbec Sun 11-Sep-16 12:39:29

Yeah I get a gradual increase on opks too. I usually get one like your bottom one, then next day the lines are the same darkness and then the day after the test line is darker than the control. So that day is my proper positive. You've just got to keep going and see what happens really!

MmmMalbec Sun 11-Sep-16 12:40:41

This was mine today. I'm hoping for a positive in a couple of days latest.

MmmMalbec Sun 11-Sep-16 12:59:44

Found the one from yesterday too so you can see the day to day progression.

TurquoiseDress Sun 11-Sep-16 17:00:52

Here's my latest one from today.

Bit confused- I thought the 2nd line was meant to get darker as you get closer to ovulation?

As I've worked out my cycle is 33 days, I thought I'd be due to ovulate tomorrow ie 14 days before period is due. Although I guess it's not an exact thing.

Maybe I've ovulated already? And I've got a luteal phase longer than the typical 14 days?

It's quite frustrating trying to work out what's going on, never done this before confused

physicskate Sun 11-Sep-16 17:16:55

It could be that your actual peak came between the second and third opks... The surge itself can be quite short, which means testing only once a day won't catch it??? Also, you will generally ov between 12-72 hours after full positive opk.

That said, sometimes you get a surge and then don't ov, which will lead to your body getting another surge a few days later... the only way to confirm ov is to bbt in conjunction with opk.

All that said, regular dtd will eliminate all this need for tracking. GPs tend to recommend every other day.

MmmMalbec Sun 11-Sep-16 19:25:20

I sometimes have a line that looks to be going darker and then a fainter one and then it goes back to darker again. I think if your next one is very faint then you've liked already had your surge but if it's similar or a bit darker then you might be still waiting for your surge. You might find you have a shorter LP than you expect. Just have to keep doing the opks and see what happens.

It's not for everyone but I find checking my cervix is really useful. There's a massive difference between when I'm fertile and when I'm not.

TurquoiseDress Mon 12-Sep-16 19:09:42

Thank you for all the messages.

Well I've done 2 OPKs today- both negative, well the first may have had the faintest of lines, but I figured definitely a negative compared with the other days.

It's actually been really interesting doing this- working out that I've got a 33 day cycle has made me assume that I ovulate on CD19 (this is today) but the OPKs seem to indicate otherwise.

At least we had sex on CD16 & 17 which are the 2nd & 3rd sticks in the above photo (with the strongest lines)

I was amazed to actually get a 2nd line on CD15 after loads of negatives and I was't quite sure whether it was worth bothering.

If nothing else, it has given me some insight into my cycle which I've never done before

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now