How long did it take you to concieve?

(24 Posts)
mariam89 Mon 05-Sep-16 15:33:08

Is it really that common to take up to a year or more to concieve if you have no fertility issues ? It seems that everyone around me gets pregnant easily while i struggle . Please share your story if it did take you long to concieve

mysteriousbat Thu 08-Sep-16 22:38:25

It took 9 months for me to conceive my dd with my ex.
We have been ttc for 17 months but we have had a lot of issues!
Have you had any tests or anything to see if there is a reason nothing has happened yet? If not maybe a little gp visit may be in order?

namechangedtoday15 Thu 08-Sep-16 22:40:39

9 cycles the first time, 18 months (so about 20+ cycles) the second time.

AppleJac Thu 08-Sep-16 22:44:18

Got pregnant on cycle one with dd. With this baby (im only 7 weeks) it has taken 9 months

Helbelle75 Thu 08-Sep-16 22:48:54

Got pregnant on the 3rd cycle in both pregnancies. Sadly the first ended in miscarriage, and I have fingers crossed for this second one.

larissa82 Fri 09-Sep-16 14:15:56

I stopped taking my pill last Sept 15, started tracking my period in Jan 16, started taking pre natal vitamins from Apr 16 and officially TCC from 1st wk of Aug 16. Still in Aug my period was late by 1 week so i took the pregnancy tests and got 5 positives which meant I got pregnant on the first go but had a chemical miscarriage 4 days after i had the positive tests. It was surprisingly upsetting considering I was barely pregnant.
Because my period was off by 1wk and the miscarriage happened I was not sure if my ovulation would still be as per what the app i follow suggested so I took a ovulation test last Mon and was positive. Did the deed Mon and Tuesday and now I am 3 days post ovulation and going crazy because all I can do is wait if it worked or not.

Silversun83 Fri 09-Sep-16 16:44:34

Our DD (now four months) was conceived on my 12th cycle.. We'd just been to the GP and were in the midst of tests.. I was in fact waiting for my period to start when I got my bfp so that I could have the day 3-5 blood test! DH had had a sperm test but we didn't bother getting the results so no idea if that was a factor but we may just have been in the last % to conceive within a year! I think the average is 6-9 months..

We're both early 30s btw so age shouldn't really be a factor.

Imps9 Fri 09-Sep-16 19:34:55

3.5 years to get first BFP, another 1.5 years to get one which stuck. We have severe male factor though, and this pregnancy is something of a miracle.

ILoveMyMonkey Fri 09-Sep-16 19:56:22

2 years first DS, 3 years and still trying for number 2 - not sure it's ever going to happen tbh sad

Luckystar1 Fri 09-Sep-16 20:01:07

First pregnancy, 2 months, miscarried at 11 weeks, then conceived DS 4 months later. DD was one night literally one night. Our beautiful little unplanned sweet heart!

WhateverWillBe Fri 09-Sep-16 20:07:52

Pregnancy 1, 3 months - ended in MC at 9 weeks.

Pregnancy 2, 3 months - now have ds1

Pregnancy 3, 12 months (I was convinced I was infertile after a horrible birth with ds1) - now have ds2

Vanillaradio Fri 09-Sep-16 22:56:22

Ds conceived on first cycle. On 4th cycle and no luck yet ttc dc2.

stoptouchingthat Sat 10-Sep-16 09:19:24

2 months, 12 months and a very surprising 2 months for DC3.

I do know quite a few who have taken a while to conceive or have suffered losses. sad

Lura7115 Sat 10-Sep-16 19:43:50

With DS it took exactly a year! He is now 1y/o grin we fell pregnant again when he was 6months old (sadly ending in a MMC) after the MMC in February we waited for my next cycle to ttc again and I fell pregnant again in April ☺️ I am now 22 weeks pregnant with a baby girl smile

Antsinpants Sat 10-Sep-16 19:50:43

four months m/c, then six years of ttc involving IVF (failed). Mid adoption process concieved DD1 then four months after that DS. DD2 4 yrs later.

YourNewspaperIsShit Sun 11-Sep-16 18:50:30

4 years for DC1, now a screaming toddler

3 months after DC1 was born BFP for DC2 (MC)

Another 2 years for DC3 (also MC)

4 months after that MC we had a BFP for DC4 who is snuggled up in his crib as we speak smile

Justwanttoweeinpeace Sun 11-Sep-16 18:51:40

Eighteen months. Coming off the Pill can take a good while. Worrying about it can delay it even further sad

YourNewspaperIsShit Sun 11-Sep-16 18:51:47

Oh and no fertility issues for me but I tried with different partners so some may have been infertile/weak swimmers

YourNewspaperIsShit Sun 11-Sep-16 18:53:00

(And yep I did try consistently for years even immediately after DC1's birth, haven't used contraception in 9 years!) blush

Mrstumbletap Sun 11-Sep-16 18:55:40

Took me 9 months. Took my friend nearly two years, had tests, they said everything was fine with both of them, just took them longer, she now has a gorgeous little bubba.

The ovulation sticks with the smiley face were my saviour, without them I reckon would still be trying now 4 years later!! Wait for the smiley face and then do it as many times as you can in the next 48 hours, worked for us....eventually.

HeyMicky Sun 11-Sep-16 18:56:41

5 months DD1
2 months DD2

We are incredibly fortunate. But on average in the UK, 85% of fertile couples will conceive in 12 months if they're having regular sex

Mrstumbletap Sun 11-Sep-16 18:57:11

Took me 9 months. Took my friend nearly two years, had tests, they said everything was fine with both of them, just took them longer, she now has a gorgeous little bubba.

The ovulation sticks with the smiley face were my saviour, without them I reckon would still be trying now 4 years later!! Wait for the smiley face and then do it as many times as you can in the next 48 hours, worked for us....eventually.

Mrstumbletap Sun 11-Sep-16 18:58:44

Sorry for double post, ipad is having a dodgy moment

sueevone Sun 11-Sep-16 19:26:15

1st time we tried but MMC at 6 weeks. Took 18 months off trying then crazily conceived 1st time again 2nd time round and we're now 26 week gone with a so far very active baby boy on the way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now