Talk

Advanced search

Conceiving after Mirena coil

(10 Posts)
OfficerMeowMeowFuzzyface Sat 27-Aug-16 11:46:19

I had my Mirena out three days ago because we're now ready to have a child. I had my smear test a few months ago and had a chat about this with the nurse then: she said we should wait until I've started having 'proper' periods before trying to conceive, and so that we should use condoms until then. I mentioned this to the (different) nurse who removed my coil. She said this was unnecessary; it might be that it took my body a while to get ready for pregnancy, but (she said) there was absolutely no harm that could come from trying in the meantime. This seems to make more obvious sense to me, and to be honest I'd rather not bother with condoms, but I'm a bit confused by such contradictory advice, and was wondering what other people did/were told?

In case it's relevant: this would be my first pregnancy, I'm late 20s and although my partner and I talk about it as 'trying for a baby' we've agreed that we'll leave it at least six months before doing the 'active' trying things (monitoring fertile times and timing sex). Until then we're just going to carry on as normal and see what happens.

physicskate Sat 27-Aug-16 12:02:00

Take folic acid.

I've heard of quite a few ladies on here that never had a period between Mirena out and getting pregnant. It might be less frustrating for you if you know when you are officially 'late' or just having irregular cycles, but if you are worried, talk to your gp or someone at a GUM clinic - they will probably give the best advice!

0hCrepe Sat 27-Aug-16 12:07:46

I just started trying straight away as in didn't use anything. Got pg in a few months (I'm 40). Didn't do charting etc as it puts dh right off so I know we weren't always doing it at the right time, but then again the right time isn't always when you think it is anyway.
I think it's a good idea not to launch into temping and ovulation kits etc as well. Just enjoy LOTS of sex.

OfficerMeowMeowFuzzyface Sat 27-Aug-16 12:08:43

Thank you! I am taking folic acid (and some other 'prepregnancy vitamins/minerals' - I know the evidence on the necessity of this is weak, but I'm vegetarian so wanted to be cautious) and was intending to do that throughout the condom period if there was such a period. The second nurse (the one who took the coil out) was at a family planning clinic (my GP didn't have anyone who could remove the coil), which I guess gives her opinion some extra weight!

0hCrepe Sat 27-Aug-16 12:17:57

I've had a couple taken out in order to conceive by a nurse and dr at clinics who both said it was fine to crack on!

GN06 Tue 22-Nov-16 14:41:18

Hi OP-

Just wondering how you got on with TTC after having your mirena taken out? I had mine taken out last week. Just wondering really when your period started again? I didn't have a period for the whole 3 years I had the coil so I have no idea what my cycles are like (I can't remember!).

kippersandcurtains Tue 22-Nov-16 14:47:52

FWIW I conceived within two cycles of mirena removal twice (dcs 2 and 3) with no period bleed in between.

GN06 Tue 22-Nov-16 15:09:41

Hi kippers,

Thanks, from what I've read it's totally mixed. Hope I get as lucky as you!! I still feel the need to read the entire history of the internet on it haha!!
Did you use ovulation sticks or anything to help you track?

kippersandcurtains Tue 22-Nov-16 20:19:56

I'm a big researcher too - currently trying to second guess when baby three will make their arrival (39 weeks)...
No I didn't like ov sticks - used them when ttc number one and it took eight months. Whereas when I took more notice of my own body (cm and other signs of ovulation) I realised I ovulated earlier than sticks were suggesting. Found out day 11 was bingo day for me rather than later despite having long cycles.
Anyway, from my point of view, mirena didn't stop/delay conception. I really hope it happens for you soon.

GN06 Wed 23-Nov-16 13:09:28

Ooh exciting! Good luck for the new arrival, fingers crossed soon! Yeah I like the researching, I guess it's giving me something to do in all the time spent waiting!! I feel like a bit of an expert now!!
But glad it worked out v well after mirena, hope to have good news soon!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now