Talk

Advanced search

IUI success with unexplained infertility....

(6 Posts)
broodypsycho Fri 26-Aug-16 16:02:50

....Anyone? I want to do clomid with iui in October and I'm just wondering whether it's going to be worth £750 grin or is more successful with injectable? Either way is it worth doing? Or just save the money and go straight to IVF?

INeedNewShoes Fri 26-Aug-16 16:07:41

Hi Broody

Where on earth have you found a clinic that does IUI with Clomid for £750?

Sorry, back to your question smile

I'm having IUI (because I'm single). I know that the success rates overall for IUI are around 16% at clinics in this country and those stats are because they are mostly treating couples who have had some issue or other trying to conceive.

Have you had all of the investigations? Hycosy etc.? And has your partner had tests on his sperm?

broodypsycho Fri 26-Aug-16 17:01:37

Well I've already got the clomid, and they said it'll be roughly around 800. I'm in the north east. And yes had hycosy, boyfriends sperm is fine, I'm ovulating ( levels have been 29, 31, 32) but still nothing. I'm willing to try anything at this point

broodypsycho Fri 26-Aug-16 17:02:40

And had hycosy -tubes are fine. I've had 2 months of clomid with no success

INeedNewShoes Fri 26-Aug-16 17:13:48

You could give it a go.

There are a couple of possible benefits to you of IUI over conceiving naturally:

1) Obviously the sperm have less far to swim

more importantly...

2) If you are creating an immune response to your partner's sperm which is leading to you rejecting it (a possibility) then it is in your vagina that these antibodies exist to fight off what they see as the foreigners. By having IUI, you are bypassing that particular immune battlezone and delivering the sperm directly into your uterus.

Could be worth a go. Bare in mind though that IVF success rate is nearly 1 in 2 whereas IUI is 1 in 5 or 6. It would be a lot less stressful and cheaper in the long run to try to get the money together for one or two IVFs rather than having to go to 4, 5 or 6 IUI.

Timing is absolutely everything with IUI so you will need to be tracking your ovulation carefully to know exactly when to do the IUI (you probably know that already).

broodypsycho Fri 26-Aug-16 23:17:24

Thanks ineednewshoes. I do want to try IUI before IVF at least once. I'll be entitled to it on the NHS but we all know what there waiting lists are like, it's took 5 month to get my date for my initial consultation on the 20th September.

And yes timing is everything which is why I was gonna ask for a trigger shot just to be sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now