Talk

Advanced search

Ttc whilst breastfeeding a toddler

(6 Posts)
Squidgling Tue 23-Aug-16 08:11:27

Hi, I was hoping for some advice please. I'm still breastfeeding my toddler who is coming up to 18 months old, and despite only feeding at bedtime and in the morning for about 5 or 6 months now my periods still haven't returned. I would prefer not to stop feeding just yet as was hoping to carry on to 2 as per WHO recommendations so just wondered if there is anything I can do to increase my chances of conceiving again as wanting to start trying again. I don't want to do anything which could be harmful to my DD but have seen some people take b vitamins for fertility? Thanks in advance smile

YokoUhOh Tue 23-Aug-16 08:14:13

I conceived DS2 the first month I gave up breastfeeding DS1 - when DS1 was 2.8!!! My periods came back about 6 months before that. DS1 was feeding once per day, before bed.

Breastfeeding is just too good a contraceptive for some of us grin I had to give up completely, I'm afraid. Good luck!

YokoUhOh Tue 23-Aug-16 08:14:50

I didn't try B vitamins - worth checking with GP?

McBaby Tue 23-Aug-16 09:17:40

Unfortunately every woman is different. Some period return while fully bf, other when they stop night feeding, other when they cut down to a certain no a day and others when they fully stop. I'm not sure you can do much except drop another feed or wait a bit longer. When did you drop down to 2 feeds?

I was fertile when I dropped down to 2 feeds with both my girls, with dd1 I was fertile at about 11 months and never had a period as I was pregnant with dd2 so if you feel at all fertile just go for it.

Writerwannabe83 Tue 23-Aug-16 10:46:51

I had my first period 4 months after having DS and he was obviously breast feeding frequently at that point. I then had further periods but they certainly weren't regular, it was all very erratic. When DS was almost a year old I had a Mirena put it which sent my periods crazy - I bled constantly for 8 months and then didn't bleed again until I had it removed 5 months later so we could TTC.

DS was almost 2 at this point, still breast fed, and although I caught pregnant on my first cycle post Mirena removal I unfortunately had an early miscarriage.

We then put TTC on hold for a few months but have now been trying again for 4 months but have sadly not fallen pregnant again yet.

DS is almost 2.5 and still BF's 2-3 times a day and my cycles are very regular and ovulation occurs on the same cycle day each month and each cycle lasts the same amount of days etc.

As a PP said, each woman is different. The best of luck in your TTC journey and I hope it happens quickly for you. flowers

Squidgling Tue 23-Aug-16 13:08:52

Thank you for your replies. I dropped down to 2 feeds around March time so I would have thought my periods would have started again if they were going to. I guess we will have to just try and hope that I am fertile already. Doesn't feel right to stop feeding the baby I have for a a hypothetical baby! Will reassess in 6 months or so.

Good luck to you writerwannabe, I hope it happens again for you soon and sorry for your loss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now