Talk

Advanced search

for info....can anyone tell my how ovulation kits actually work?

(7 Posts)
AprilSkies44 Fri 12-Aug-16 21:01:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SansaClegane Fri 12-Aug-16 21:08:20

They measure the surge of two hormones, one is the LH (luteinising hormone) and the other FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone).
So when you get a +opk (ovulation prediction kit I think?), you will ovulate in the next 12 hours.
Hope this helps - let me know if any more questions.

SansaClegane Fri 12-Aug-16 21:10:35

Sorry that was a bit brief. I'm sorry to hear about your termination and hope the next pregnancy will be a successful one!
If you really want to go the whole hog, I recommend temping as well as using opks (taking and charting your basal body temperature every morning), and maybe checking your CM (cervical mucus) as well!

MrsGsnow18 Fri 12-Aug-16 21:13:57

Sorry to hear of your lossflowers
A quick Google will prob explain way better than I can but basically you use them in your fertile week ( I'm just assuming you use an app for this) to determine the surge in LH before ovulation. After a positive you will ovulate up to 48 hours later I believe.
So basically you then need to time sex before this so that sperm will be there waiting for egg to be released.

I use them as my cycles are very irregular. I would definitely recommend as they take all the guess work out of when or even if you ovulate each month.

sparechange Fri 12-Aug-16 21:16:11

Sorry for your loss

OPK stands for ovulation prediction kit

Ovulation is triggered by a surge of lutinising hormone (LH). After the surge is release by the body, ovulation happens within a day.
The kits are like pregnancy tests, but instead of testing for pregnancy hormone, they look for LH. When you get the positive result, you know you will ovulate within the next 24 hours.

Good luck flowers

Primaryteach87 Fri 12-Aug-16 21:18:03

YY to what others have said. They do work and make getting pregnant much quicker. So I would recommend if you feel under time pressure. Do allow yourself time to heal mentally and physically though flowers

AprilSkies44 Fri 12-Aug-16 21:23:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now