Talk

Advanced search

Coming off Yasmin contraceptive pill to ttc - side effects?

(16 Posts)
Kaisha02 Thu 04-Aug-16 17:52:45

I'm really interested to hear from anyone who was on the Yasmin pill and how their body reacted when they stopped taking it.

I've taken it for about 7 years but we have now agreed I will come off it and we will allow my body to adjust back to normal before we actively ttc.

When I Google what to expect it's all horror stories! 20lb+ weight gain, hair loss etc in water weight that exercise won't shift etc..
Having Googled Yasmin apparently it's one of the worst pills for how it plays on your body - my doc never told me any of this stuff way back when!

Does anyone have their own experience they can share with me?

MmmMalbec Thu 04-Aug-16 19:33:02

I came off in the October and it was 8 weeks before I had a period. I then had a cycle where I bled on and off all month. Then another 8 week cycle. Then a 35 day cycle and I conceived the cycle after that!! I had loads of crazy symptoms along the way as well as my body started to get back to normal.

I really hope you have a better experience!!

pegomassive1 Thu 04-Aug-16 19:37:42

I was on yasmin for about 6 years. It was the best pill for my spot prone skin
I suffered acne for about a year again. It started to die down after around 12m.
It did take 23 cycles to conceive for me though. I never gained weight on or off it. I'm back on yasmin again now after having dd

LALR2615 Fri 05-Aug-16 09:20:00

I came off April after 5 years. I lost weight and lost my appetite abit had a withdrawal bleed straight after nothing for two months then spotting every two weeks been to docs and they think I possibly have polycystic ovaries tho so having more tests:-(

BakerJ Fri 05-Aug-16 15:47:59

Hi, I was on Yasmin for 12 years(!) and stopped taking it in March in preparation for TTC as I had also heard horror stories!

I had a very positive experience, one long cycle of 39 days after my withdrawal bleed but settled straight away after that. Currently in cycle 3 TTC.

I've not noticed any particular weight or appetite changes, though my skin did flare up for the first couple of months it seemed to calm down again after that.

Kaisha02 Fri 05-Aug-16 20:07:27

Thanks everyone, it's so useful to hear your stories. There's such variation! I'm on my final week off the pill now, and Tuesday will be my first day off the pill schedule entirely. Fingers crossed it's not too horrible to me!

Popskipiekin Fri 05-Aug-16 20:10:13

I was on Yasmin for 6 years, often taking packets back-to-back (yadda yadda, you're probably not meant to do that but my periods were awful and sometimes I just wanted relief). I stopped taking it in September and had longish (31-36 days) but regular cycles immediately. We conceived in January. Hope it goes well for you!

Popskipiekin Fri 05-Aug-16 20:11:52

Oh and sorry, didn't pick up on that part of your OP, I didn't have any strange withdrawal symptoms - weight gain/spots etc. Pregnancy did that to me though grin

NappingRabbit Fri 05-Aug-16 20:15:06

I was on it for about 8 years, came off and got a period about 4 weeks later and cycles were about 35, 33, 31 days. We used other contraception for a couple of months to let things settle and then conceived first month trying, fourth cycle off the pill.

Side effect wise, I got a few spots and had to wash my hair more often. Otherwise nothing.

windygales Fri 05-Aug-16 20:19:36

I heard it was the best as its about 15x more expensive than other pills,
I got on well with it. Was the only one who didn't make me feel mad! I've conceived twice very quickly off coming off it

Kaisha02 Fri 05-Aug-16 20:23:15

I've been told they don't actually provide it on the NHS to people choosing to go on the pill now as it's too expensive. I wondered if it was really that or the side effects.
So far so good with your stories, If I have a similar journey I can handle it, phew smile

pegomassive1 Fri 05-Aug-16 20:25:19

They've been OK with me going back on it after 2 years off kaisha I heard similar but I heard it's due to its cost whereas mycrogynon is so cheap they'd like everyone on that one!

Kaisha02 Fri 05-Aug-16 20:44:58

Ah that makes sense. I actually moved from microgynon to yasmin about 7 years ago. I've still got 9 months supply so il definitely keep those stored for future use.

Purplehonesty Fri 05-Aug-16 20:56:07

I came off it twice to have babies, no side effects and conceived within two months both times.

My skin didn't flare back up its like the pill finally cured it. I have gained weight (about a stone) but it's been 7 years now and two babies....!

Desmondo2016 Sat 06-Aug-16 09:55:31

I was on yasmin for acne and it was brilliant. I came off to ttc in January. I had a withdrawal bleed, then a 27 day cycle immediately with periods in Feb and March then got my BFp in April! I had the odd spot and a snall amounyt of weight gain during Feb and March but nothing massively noticeable. I then got the bfp and have suffered pregnancy acne and massive weight gain ever since lol!!

Desmondo2016 Sat 06-Aug-16 09:56:11

Oh and I'd been on it pretty solidly for 11 years

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now