Advanced search

HSG test and other fertility tests done privately

(4 Posts)
nicky883 Wed 03-Aug-16 10:01:09

Hi all ,
I want to get an hsg test done privetly as i dont really "use" my gp and usually do all my gynecological tests (smear etc) when i go back home(dofferent country) and see my gynecologist
I have phoned a couple of private hospitals to have the hsg test done as i have done all the other tests in my gynecologist back home
They have said that i need to get a gp referal to do that . I dont undestand why as i am doing this to avoid going through the nhs
My question is if every hospital/clinic need a gp referal for this kind of test ? And how do i get the referal do i just book an appoitment with the gp telling them i need a referal to get the test done privately ?

nicky883 Wed 03-Aug-16 13:36:37


delilahbucket Wed 03-Aug-16 21:50:58

Yes, you need a doctor referral. You will have to see a fertility consultant privately first in order to get tests done and this will also cost you. A doctor has to request the tests and give a reasoning behind it. They can't just start doing tests. Why do you feel you need an hsg? That isn't something routine and lots of other tests should be done first. Again these have to be requested by a doctor.

sparechange Wed 03-Aug-16 22:00:20

Private fertility clinics offer a fertility MOT service where they give you the usual blood tests and an ultrasound examination. You will pay about £300-450 for this, and can discuss with the doctor why you need an HSG. They can then arrange one for you if they agree you need one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now