Talk

Advanced search

BFP after MC: when did you get yours?

(35 Posts)
blossombottom Sat 23-Jul-16 21:27:27

... And does anyone know the science behind the theory that women are 'more fertile' after MC?

Metalhead Sun 24-Jul-16 06:56:15

I looked into this a lot after my mc, and the only sound scientific evidence I found seems to suggest that you are only more fertile before you ovulate for the first time after a mc. Anything else is just anecdotal.

Lots of people do get pregnant again straight away, but for me it took 11 cycles in the end. Fx you'll get yours soon, but don't get too disheartened if it doesn't happen straight away.

nolongerwaitingfornumber2 Sun 24-Jul-16 07:07:30

I had just one cycle in between my miscarriage and my bfp.

Good luck and sorry for your loss flowers

DoubleCarrick Sun 24-Jul-16 07:39:24

We decided to wait because we weren't emotionally ready after the mmc. I had my bfp 7 months after the mc

m33r Sun 24-Jul-16 08:29:25

I MC in Feb, got a BFP in June which was CP and am now pg again this month. Am just 5 weeks so not counting my chickens xx

Swearwolf Sun 24-Jul-16 08:36:28

I mc in March last year and got a bfp at the end of July. It was 7 weeks in though, I'd had some implantation bleeding the month before and a negative test just before that so didn't realise until a few weeks later. I also heard that you're more fertile after a mc, and it seemed to happen quickly for me and the two friends going through it a similar time. Good luck!

blossombottom Sun 24-Jul-16 10:01:26

Thanks everyone. Any advice on what I should be doing (apart from the obvious...) to conceive again soon? I've given up caffeine and am starting acupuncture, eating fairly well but could do better... Etc

karryk Sun 24-Jul-16 11:10:28

We took a break after the mmc and then it took 3 cycles to get a bfp. I ended up having a bit of a life overhaul afterwards and switched all my personal care products to as organic as possible, plus ditching plastic containers. There's not necessarily a link but it certainly made me feel better in myself in general smile

riddles26 Sun 24-Jul-16 12:57:05

I had one cycle between the two.

I have endometriosis so I minimised dairy and wheat in my diet after mc. We generally had a healthy diet from before, with lots of fruit and veg and cook every meal from scratch, only eating out occasionally. I cut down caffeine to twice a week and cut alcohol to the occasional drink only.

I had been having reflexology before I first conceived so continued that after mc and also switched some of my more 'active' exercise classes to yoga to help with relaxation.

My advice would be to relax and not get disappointed if it doesn't happen straight away. While I am grateful it did happen quickly for us (took >2yrs to conceive the one I mc), the first few weeks are filled with anxiety - its hard to describe but all you desperately want is to be pregnant again but when it happens, its such an anticlimax without any of the excitement I had with the first bfp. I have spent the whole pregnancy waiting for the next milestone, telling myself I will be 'safer' then and I am still struggling to relax and enjoy the pregnancy at 27 weeks. I often wonder if that is because it happened so quickly and I hadn't recovered emotionally.

Hope you get your bfp very soon flowers

AWaspOnAWindowInAHeatwave Sun 24-Jul-16 12:59:24

I mc'd early Sep - was pg again late Oct - mc'd again late Nov - pg again mid Jan (that one stuck - DS is now almost 2). Good luck and keep your chin up xx

Swearwolf Sun 24-Jul-16 13:47:03

I waited a month to try again - there's so much different advice out there I knew that if I got pregnant again right away I would worry even more about something going wrong. I'm glad I did, as that first period after my erpc was horrible, very painful and lots of brown stringy blood (sorry tmi), and all I could think was that my womb must have needed that cycle to properly heal. That's just my experience though, I know plenty of people conceive right away with no problems.

I also just focused on looking after myself, eating well and trying to make myself happy, rather than cutting anything out or going on a big health kick. I did switch to decaf tea though, no idea if it helped but I was pregnant on my second cycle and now have a healthy four month old.

cookielove Sun 24-Jul-16 20:45:38

I had a mmc in September and was told to not ttc again till we had genetic councelling in the following April (due to abnormalities on the fetus) we accidentally fell pregnant and got a bfp in January and had a rush appointment in Feb. Ds was born perfectly healthy in August (premature) and now is almost 2 - how did that happen!!?! grin

Good luck smile

Gardencentregroupie Sun 24-Jul-16 20:48:46

ERPC in the mid August, really horrendous period late September - like swearwolf it was exceptionally painful, I lost lots of blood, felt drained and exhausted - bfp 4 weeks later.

Ankleswingers Sun 24-Jul-16 20:52:07

I had a mmc in the June, was pregnant in the October and that baby is now just over two years old.

Good luck op. smile

blossombottom Sun 24-Jul-16 22:18:20

Thank you all for your wise words and for sharing your success stories.

I'm dreading the period. I had very a very light / on-off bleed with some cramps 2ish weeks after the ERPC while my hcg was still in the low hundreds, so I'm pretty sure that wasn't a real period. Literally don't know if I'm about to ovulate or bleed right now. Funtimes!

I know relaxing and letting things be is the best way, but it's such a paradox when all I want is to 'overwrite' this sad experience with a new pregnancy.

blossombottom Wed 03-Aug-16 17:36:18

Did anyone bleed around implantation when they conceived after a MC? I had a 'period' last week after thinking I had ovulated just the week before. It never got heavy and was very stop-start for four or five days, but there was definitely fresh blood there for a day or so. But very sporadic, and no abdominal cramps or pain like usual.

I did have pinching lower back pain during that bleed though.

What I'm wondering (hoping) is that this was implantation.

Any thoughts??

Swearwolf Wed 03-Aug-16 21:12:48

I did! I thought it was my period too, it only lasted 3 days and was really light but I thought it was just my cycle getting back to normal. I tested negative but I think it was just the cheap tests because a couple of weeks later I kept getting strong positives on ovulation tests, tested again and got a positive. Good luck!

blossombottom Wed 03-Aug-16 21:32:23

Thanks so much! Gosh it's so bewildering - wish I could switch off from it all. I just have no idea where I'm at with my cycle now, and OPKs may be telling me the wrong thing! I'm going to assume that the 5 days of on-off bleeding was a period as i'm not sure my brain can cope with hoping it was implantation! It definitely wasn't painful though, which I was fully expecting.

Am handing over my sackful of cheap HPTs to DH tomorrow. I can't be trusted!

blossombottom Thu 11-Aug-16 19:48:21

Bumping!

Jjspoon Thu 11-Aug-16 20:04:59

How you doing blossom? I remember you from another thread but cant think which one? Guessing no bfp yet? Have you kept poas?

I had mc last month and then af has arrived today but it was only a 25 day cycle since day 1 of mc bleeding so alot shorter than I thought it would be, was not prepared for it at all yet. Onward to next cycle now....

Honeyandfizz Thu 11-Aug-16 20:09:43

I had a mmc in September 2002 & found out I was having dd in Jan 2003, only had 1 cycle between the two.

blossombottom Thu 11-Aug-16 20:25:25

Thanks honeyandfizz! Fingers crossed...

Hi again JJspoon! nope no BFP yet but am now in FW of my first cycle after my post MC period. Think I'm ovulating so on the hunt for encouragement!

Are you relieved to have AF?

Jjspoon Thu 11-Aug-16 22:06:36

Go for it, Fx for you!

Mixed feelings really. Sad not to get bfp straight away, was really hoping the extra fertile thing would happen but at the same time didnt think it would happen as we only dtd a few times and probably too late in the cycle as wasn't feeling up to it first few weeks. But yes also relief as I was worried it might be a really long time until it came again and mess up my cycles so it's nice to know we can start trying again properly now and I'll know what's going on with my cycles again.

blossombottom Sat 13-Aug-16 19:56:29

Hi JJ

I'm not sure the first cycle after MC and before first AF should even be considered a cycle - almost impossible to pinpoint ovulation if it happens at all what with OPKs picking up HCG and HCG staying elevated, plus random bleeds etc. I was just relieved to get my AF as it meant I finally had something definite to work with. Plus I felt that bleed drew a line under the whole miscarriage so it was quite cathartic to get it over and done with...

Good luck this month! Do you have a plan? I tried SMEP but it stressed us both out to the point of almost not BD when I got the OPK+ so won't be doing it quite so much next month. Tried preseed too but we weren't massive fans.

Jjspoon Sat 13-Aug-16 22:16:09

Nope no plan for us, just being relaxed about it. Luckily for us last time was only cycle 2 after stopping the pill which was alot faster than we thought so hoping it happens soon again! At least we now know theres nothing wrong with us. We didnt do anything last time, just dtd regularly. Fx for yousmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now