Talk

Advanced search

does breastfeeding stop conception?

(18 Posts)
crazybearmama Sat 09-Jul-16 21:01:35

Hi, we have an 18mth old and really want to have another baby as our lb is amazing and we want to have a sibling with a 2yr age gap. The problem is we can't seem to conceive. I'm still breastfeeding and. Wondered if that was stopping us. My periods returned when baby was 8 weeks so I must be ovulating and we have tried tracking, bbt and OPK but so far nothing. I was hopeful this month as I've been feeling rubbish the last couple of days but I did a test today (my period is due Monday) and it's a negative digital clear blue so yet again It's another month we've failed. Does anyone have any advice?

crazybearmama Sat 09-Jul-16 21:25:30

Just to add we didn't even try the first time he just sort of happened!

FuzzyOwl Sat 09-Jul-16 21:29:14

If you are ovulating then you are fertile. How long have you been trying for?

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Sat 09-Jul-16 21:31:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

crazybearmama Sat 09-Jul-16 21:49:03

Yes we are tracking mucus and using the conception app and nothing. Trying since September now and I've given up hope a bit

Artandco Sat 09-Jul-16 21:51:08

No. Ds2 was conceived with eldest was 5 months

jpclarke Sat 09-Jul-16 21:51:11

I thought the same but I am currently pregnant abs still breastfeeding. I was using opk and knew I was ovulating. I went to my gynae as my periods have been very heavy since they came back when ds was 9 months. And when he scanned me he told me I was due to ovulate. He took bloods to check my prolactin levels and I also had to have day 21 bloods to check my progesterone levels. Apparently even if you have your periods if your prolactin or progesterone levels are too high you won't conceive. Angus cactus can help. I tried Accupuncture too for a couple of months and after the first month I did get pregnant but it ended in a chemical. Ironically the month I conceived I didn't take anything. Best of luck but it is possible.

crazybearmama Sat 09-Jul-16 21:51:13

Might it be my age? I'm quite old now so would that prevent us? 34 means we've leftmost late

crazybearmama Sat 09-Jul-16 21:57:06

Jpclarke agnus castus says unsuitable if pregnant or breastfeeding. Was it ok for you to take whilst feeding or did you find things changed?

harrowgreen Sat 09-Jul-16 21:57:50

Are you totally sure you're ovulating? You can get your period even if you don't ovulate (anovulatory cycles).

Breastfeeding can decrease the length of your luteal phase (the time between ovulation and your period) meaning there's not enough time for implantation. There are some natural remedies for this which you'll find if you search (can't remember them off the top of my head).

I also think that some women just can't get pregnant when breastfeeding: that their bodies prioritise the nursling. I'm one of them: got pregnant with #3 the first month i went cold turkey on nursing #2 having not had a period since the month before we conceived #2-still nursing #3 now so it's been over four years without a period smile You might need to stop entirely.

jpclarke Sat 09-Jul-16 22:10:27

I took it and I was fine and it didn't have any effect on ds. I am 33. I read you need to make sure you are eating enough calories so that you trick your body into thinking that you are able to continue feeding and sustain a pregnancy.

crazybearmama Sat 09-Jul-16 22:14:53

Jpclarke I eat enough for a whole family confused I really wanted to wean naturally after 2-3yrs but I think I might consider stopping. I just don't know what else to give him instead. He feeds to sleep and I'm not sure how else
To work that situation!

crazybearmama Sat 09-Jul-16 22:16:44

Harrowgreen my OPK says I am and I get positive test results. I even have ovulation pain. It falls on day 13/14 of my 28 day cycle too so it's bang in the middle. My periods only last four days now I mooncup so my cycle seems shorter

Artandco Sat 09-Jul-16 22:18:29

Oh and although I fed exclusively, at 5 months ds1 had no overnight feeds. So 10pm-8am no feeds at all. I think it only counts if you feed every 4 hrs.

jpclarke Sat 09-Jul-16 22:19:55

My ds feeds to sleep too. Try Accupuncture, and see if it helps. And maybe get your gp to check your progesterone and prolactin levels before you wean.

FuzzyOwl Sat 09-Jul-16 22:22:59

OPKs don't confirm that you ovulate; they merely tell you when you are having a LH surge. Could you take your temperature for a month to make sure? I had some anovulatory cycles after miscarrying and giving birth.

crazybearmama Sat 09-Jul-16 22:38:09

Fuzzyowl we do bbt too. Over the months I've tried everything. Scientifically there's no reason why not. I've had two positive tests at the end of last year but by the time I had an appointment to see my GP and then move onto booking in appointments I got my period just four weeks late and five weeks late.

My son feeds through the night. We bed share from 10pm so he has easy access. I think the answer is to stop feeding. I'll look into weaning him sad

FuzzyOwl Sat 09-Jul-16 22:44:32

If your bbt shows you are ovulating and you have had two chemical miscarriages, which I am very sorry to hear about, then it does sound as if there is nothing stopping you from conceiving. I know several mums who have conceived whilst BF, including through the night and also many who have taken a long time to conceive their second child when not feeding at all.

I think that even when you time everything perfectly, your odds per month aren't in your favour but over time you are likely to conceive. As you are 34 and have been trying since September, I would make an appointment to see your doctor if you still haven't conceived next month and see if you can have some preliminary tests carried out. Good luck and hopefully all will go well for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now