OPKs- do they just pick up LH surge or pregnancy hormone (beta hCG) too?

(5 Posts)
TurquoiseDress Sat 09-Jul-16 19:42:59

Posted on another thread, but thought it better to start my own:

So sorry for all your losses.
Miscarriage is utterly shit.

OPKs- have never used before but bought some off the internet.

Didn't realise OPKs pick up beta hCG pregnancy hormones too- thought it was just for the LH surge?

Had MMC last month- lots of bleeding a few days before dating scan at almost 13 weeks.

Did an OPK 11 days after medical management & it was positive...
But my pregnancy test was also still positive.

Was I ovulating then??
It's been over a month since the initial bleeding & 1 month since medication.

Not had a period yet but have no idea about my normal cycle as I've fallen pregnant twice directly after stopping the pill which I've taken for almost 15 years.

So frustrating not knowing where I am in terms of my cycle!

Any ideas re the OPKs?
Not sure if they are such a good idea to get into.

I'm 38 and have never panicked before re my fertility, but I certainly am starting to now!

danikagrace Wed 13-Jul-16 10:24:05

So sorry for your loss flowers
I thought they were just LH surge (the test line has to be as dark as or darker than the control line for it to be a positive result). I stopped with them bc they were making me crazy!
If your cycle is normally regular I'd say just go a couple with sex every 2/3 days and try not to worry x

Writerwannabe83 Wed 13-Jul-16 10:31:56

OPK tests can detect HCG as it is very similar to LH and it can't differentiate between the two. The general idea is that if a woman gets a very strong positive OPK around the time her period is due then it's very possible she's pregnant.

That's how I found out I was pregnant with my son. I couldn't work out why I was ovulating when AF was due, I came into MN for advice and was told about OPKs detecting HCG so I ran out to buy a HPT and it was positive.

danikagrace Wed 13-Jul-16 10:34:11

Oooh how interesting Writer, I didn't know that

TurquoiseDress Wed 13-Jul-16 12:24:29

Thanks for the responses.

Right ok I think the O test must have been picking up my pregnancy hormones too, despite going through miscarriage etc.

Now got my period exactly a month after medical treatment given- so may have been ovulating as well!

Yes I think I may just ditch the ovulation sticks and stick to having regular sex!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now