Talk

Advanced search

Difference between chemical pregnancy and ectopic? Short period..

(7 Posts)
Abinob Thu 23-Jun-16 20:09:50

So I think I've had a chemical pregnancy. Positive test not getting any fainter then bfn then bleeding. Tested this afternoon and bfn so I guess it's looking good for chemical rather than ectopic?
It's the really faint lines taking ages to get darker that have freaked me out, is that normal with chemical pregnancy and can I safely assume it's just all fine and normal now ive had a bfn then?
Period only lasted 2 days which isn't normal for me but it is only my 2nd period after stopping implanon so could that cause it? Was heavy and red if that's relevant just short.

I have awful anxiety so my brain does like to think of terrible things happened in to me all the time.

Abinob Thu 23-Jun-16 20:10:18

Sorry not getting any darker I meant. Was faint for 4 days then bfn

MaGratgarlik1983 Fri 24-Jun-16 00:04:37

I would probably check with your gp to be sure.

Abinob Fri 24-Jun-16 00:35:46

I'm a bit embarassed because I always bother my gp with ridiculous things.
I don't have a good reason to think it's ectopic and I have negative pregnancy tests now but I'd never heard of a chemical pregnancy at all before now.
I've read hgc can rise and fall with ectopic which i think is what my mind has clung to as a reason to worry, so if I leave it a week, test again and it's still bfn then would I probably be fine?
I have a tendency to make a twat out of myself at the doctors and I'm just way too embarassed to turn up and say "so I was pregnant and now I'm not and I've had a period and negative tests since but am I going to suddenly die or something? "
Anxiety and ttc do not mix well clearly

purplepinny Fri 24-Jun-16 00:59:08

Sorry to say you've probably had an early miscarriage, "chemical pregnancy". An ectopic would normally show a slow increase in hcg - so a pregnancy test would stay positive but get darker over time but much slower than a normal pregnancy would.
Do you have any pain, low down on the right or left of your tummy?
Your gp could take hcg blood tests 48 hours apart to show if the pregnancy hormone is falling (miscarriage) or rising slowly (ectopic). Hope this info helps. So sorry..take care of yourself and see your gp for some support.

MaGratgarlik1983 Fri 24-Jun-16 23:39:24

We had a chemical one. Positive early test but then bleed and negative. Gp said it's just one of those things and it happens all the time. It's only now with the advances in early pregnancy tests that people realise how often it happens.

idontlikealdi Fri 24-Jun-16 23:42:05

It sounds like a chemical flowersany kind of pain especially in shoulder would indicate ectopic and straight to a and e. Hope you're ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now