Should I stop drinking to try to conceive? Or just stop in pregnancy?

(12 Posts)
ThePartyArtist Sun 29-May-16 23:30:59

We are going to start TTC soon, for the first time.
What to do about drinking though?
We're not big drinkers at all. Normally, though not always, we'd have a glass or two with a meal out but don't really drink at home much these days.
Social life involves quite a few weddings, hen parties, big birthday parties etc. where I would normally drink.
I don't know whether to give up entirely to TTC or just in the 2 week wait or not at all. DH says (and I kind of agree) that it seems silly to risk making it harder than it needs to be to conceive, or risking the baby's health, and of course there'd be the gap between possible conception and testing when you wouldn't know if you were pregnant. On the other hand that is half of each month spent behaving as if I am pregnant when I may not be, which could get really tedious. And what to do when things like best friend's wedding falls during that time. I guess what I mean really is how essential is it to stop drinking to conceive (I'd definitely stop in pregnancy).

For general info, we are both healthy eaters, reasonably fit, not overweight, non smokers, vegetarian, under 35.

scoobyloobyloo Mon 30-May-16 04:40:24

There was a study on women using ivf to try to get pregnant, those who drank 3 small glasses of White wine a week were 1/3 as likely as women who had no alcohol to be able to conceive.

Link here

Essexgirlupnorth Mon 30-May-16 05:06:33

I didn't give up alcohol when I was TTC which as it took us 16 months to get pregnant due to my PCOS was a good decision. I had cut down due to doing slimming world anyway and if I had a big social event I did a pregnancy test before hand (basic strip tests are very cheap on eBay). Obviously stopped as soon as I knew I was pregnant.

Lweji Mon 30-May-16 05:18:25

It's obviously purely anecdotal, but I rarely drink. Less than a unit per week.
After two years of trying to conceive I got pregnant the only time when I drank too much and at about ovulation/implantation time (we had sex a few days before). DS is absolutely fine.
Still not sure what to make of it.

underrugsswept Mon 30-May-16 06:36:37

Both times I've got pregnant it's been the month I went out on a big drinking session after I conceived. The second time I'd been good for four months and just thought 'Fuck it, I'm going to enjoy this wedding''. I'm not convinced it makes much difference and certainly doesn't pass through to the embryo so early on.

ChocChip01 Mon 30-May-16 10:14:24

I think alcohol will only negatively effect your chances of conceiving if you consistently drink heavily. The odd glass of wine is not going to be a problem. You could just cut back the amount you drink at social events.... Maybe alternate between alcoholic and non-acholic drinks? You don't want ttc to completely rule your life, you still got have fun, it's stressful enough as it is! What's most important is that you stop once you get your BFP!

ThePartyArtist Mon 30-May-16 12:14:39

Thanks all.

ChocChip01 what do you do in the 2 week wait though - abstain incase you are pregnant or wait for the positive test?

Spiltmilkshake Mon 30-May-16 14:09:40

OP, if you do decide to give up alcohol while TTC I hope your DP will as well? Seems only fair!

Pinkheart5915 Mon 30-May-16 14:12:38

When ttc me and dh both cut right down on alcohol but still had a glass of wine or two with dinner on Fridays, then I stopped completely once pregnant. We now have a healthy ds (8months) and I'm pregnant again.

ChocChip01 Mon 30-May-16 14:30:30

so this is my first cycle and I have had this dilemma. Had a good friends 30th bday and went out for dinner this weekend. Obviously want to celebrate with her so had a glass prosecco but that was it. I did lie and say I had a sore throat... When offered another drink (friends don't know we are TTC). I've decided no drinks at home during the 2 week wait. But like you we are not big drinkers at home so not bothered about that. But to deny yourself a drink or two on special social occasion just seems too extreme especially if you are TTC for months. I'm only on cycle 1 and feel like TTC has taken over my life so I feel you got to have a balance and carry on with a bit of normality until you get that BFP! You'll then have 9+ months of no alcohol anywaygrin

Junosmum Mon 30-May-16 19:04:45

It could take 12+ months to conceive. So ask yourself if you want to potentially give up alcohol totally for that length of time plus whatever you choose to do in pregnancy.

I took my folic acid, ate healthily and was going to cut down my drinking (from not a lot to a bit less). Decided to have a last 'messy' weekend- pints, cocktails, shots for 2 nights in a row. Got a bfp the next day! Healthy 5 month old currently feeding on me!

TheCrumpettyTree Mon 30-May-16 21:15:08

I personally don't think you should put your life on hold as you have no idea how long ttc could take. I conceived whilst on holiday and was eating and drinking all the wrong things. Found out I was pregnant about two weeks later. I have a bright, happy healthy 4 year old! It doesn't sound like you drink a lot anyway. Take folic acid though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now