question about Clomid for #2

(5 Posts)
clomidquestions Tue 17-May-16 15:09:21

NC for this. And it's long, sorry.

We used Clomid to conceive DS(2), as I had PCOS symptoms, very irregular cycles and assumed no ovulation.

We were very lucky that it worked the first time, so I have lots of tablets left which are still in date for a couple more years.

Since my period returned when DS was about 8 months old, they've been pretty regular at 5 week cycles. DH and I are thinking about #2, and have been half-trying since the beginning of this year. No charting or anything but I now have fairly obvious O signs and last month used a OPK and it confirmed that I was fertile when I thought. No success so far, but as I said, we haven't been scientific.

I am considering using the Clomid but want to be monitored by a GP to do so. Is this something that would be covered by the NHS, given that it might be considered secondary infertility? Or would I need to go private? I don't need a new script for Clomid, which is incredibly expensive, but would a doctor be happy to monitor my progress based on an old script?

I could always go rogue and use it anyway, but then you need to declare as part of prenatal care and I don't want to cop lectures about how dangerous it was, PLUS, since I am fairly sure I'm ovulating regularly now (although this is only going by having regular periods), I don't want the added risk of multiples to be even higher.

Anyone else who has been through this?

clomidquestions Tue 17-May-16 21:07:00

Hopeful bump?

jpclarke Tue 17-May-16 21:16:02

Why not just go to the doc, get them to prescribe Clomid if they think it's necessary and don't get the prescription filled but use the ones you have. Then you will have the monitoring.

clomidquestions Tue 17-May-16 21:25:08

I don't know (would have to ask, I guess) whether I would be able to access it as an NHS service since I already have one DC, and from what I have read on here investigations for infertility aren't allowed if you have a child.

I'll make an appointment to check. Have a couple of other things to follow up anyway.

Thanks smile

clomidquestions Tue 17-May-16 21:26:00

By 'it' I meant the GP visits/follow up. I know if I had to get more Clomid that wouldn't be covered by NHS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now