Talk

Advanced search

Can pH affect fertility?

(5 Posts)
Lizziedoll Mon 16-May-16 16:30:18

Hello ladies I'm 29 and ttc for the first time. No luck so far but I feel my vagina's pH could be the issue? I have chronic BV which I treat with balance activ pessaries (works great but the BV comes back after I have sex...everytime!) so basically my question is, does anyone know if having a too low or too high pH really affect my chances of conceiving or is there hope for me? Thanks smile

Barefootcontessa84 Tue 17-May-16 09:02:27

Hi lizzie i've just seen this thread so sorry if it seems like I've chased you from the June bus grin I was just wondering - have you had a proper course of antibiotics rather than just the pessaries?

Lizziedoll Tue 17-May-16 17:42:28

Hi thanks for your reply smile yes I've been on antibiotics for my BV but it hasn't helped at all. The only thing that's helped is the pessaries

redstrawberries101 Sun 22-May-16 12:11:54

Do you take probiotics? I think these can help levels.

VestalVirgin Thu 26-May-16 12:36:06

I second probiotics. You should always take those after antibiotics.

If it always comes back after sex, then I assume your ph is too high (alkalic), as the acidic normal ph keeps the vagina healthy.

Perhaps limit the vaginal intercourse to the times when you have a chance of conceiving, so that the natural balance isn't upset at other times. (Sperm is alkalic, and I'd guess your vagina isn't acidic enough to cope with that.)

Don't worry too much. There certainly is a chance for you - if too low or too high pH was a safe contraceptive, we'd be using it as such. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now