Talk

Advanced search

TTC after stopping breastfeeding

(7 Posts)
MamaFern Mon 16-May-16 08:19:00

Hi ladies,

I just stopped breastfeeding my son (12 months old) and I haven't had a period since I got pregnant with him. Ttc number 2 but I don't really know where to start as I don't have my cycle back.

Has anyone caught the first egg before? Anything I can do to improve my chances?

I have been using OPKs but don't know what to expect as I don't even know if I will ovulate before getting my first period.

Any experience or advice would be so helpful! Thanks.

Coolchic12 Tue 17-May-16 16:03:04

Hi there, sorry no answer but I'm in a similar situation. I'm ttc no 2, dd is 7 months ,still breastfeeding and I only had 1 period around 6 weeks after giving birth and nothing since(only very light spotting last month). I've bought ovulation monitoring sticks but have no idea when to start!

MamaFern Tue 17-May-16 17:14:53

Hi coolchic smile
We are in similar situations! Frustrating, isn't it? How often are you breastfeeding still? I'm so surprised my AF hasn't returned, especially as the last few months we were only feeding once or twice per day (supplementing with formula). I guess it's just a waiting game...

Coolchic12 Tue 17-May-16 18:20:31

Hey Fern, I'm still breastfeeding full time so to speak, theoughout the day and 2/3 times at night. I really need to start reducing, but keep on postponing, guess we (dd and I) are both not ready to stop! Problem is the chances of conceiving in the current situation are pretty slimblush

jpclarke Tue 17-May-16 21:10:44

My advice Mamafern is to use opk's. I finished breastfeeding my DD and two weeks later I ovulated, two weeks later again I had my bfp. Still currently breastfeeding my Ds but actively trying, I had a chemical last month and really hoping for a bfp this month. He only feeds going to bed and sometimes during the night and first thing in the morning, well 5am he wakes shortly after then.

jpclarke Tue 17-May-16 21:11:50

Just to add I got my period back when he was 9months he is now 17.5 months

MamaFern Wed 18-May-16 08:38:53

Coolchic have you looked into ways of 'kick starting' your fertility? I wanted to reduce the amount I breastfed and still wasn't ready myself, but DS was and soon preferred formula from a bottle!

Hi jpclarke, thanks for your experience. Hopefully it'll happen soon then? I have been using them and I'll continue to do it, even if I don't time it right this month at least I'll learn how to use them for when AF does return.

I've put on a few lbs, which is what happened at the very beginning of my pregnancy with DS so I'm hoping that's a sign! Probably not but a girl can hope...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now