Talk

Advanced search

Help!!!!! OPK as HPT? What do the lines mean?

(10 Posts)
weloveearlysleeptime Sun 15-May-16 16:23:50

I've run out of HPTs and only have my OPK sticks left. I use the CB monitor. Today I had some brown spotting and discharge, and it's off and on-ish. I'm CD28 so thought AF rearing its head as I feel quite crampy. But i'm also feeling nausea which I never do when I'm about to get AF. So i decided to POAS using an OPK since it's the only thing I have. So two lines have come out, but no smiley face. What does this mean can anyone help??

Wheels1986 Sun 15-May-16 16:27:53

Don't want to get your hopes up but I had 5 or 6 ovulation tests turn up positive about 5 days before my period was due, which turned out to be because I was pregnant. I'd pop out and grab a test to do in the morning if you can, good luck smile

Fourormore Sun 15-May-16 16:29:33

OPKs aren't an accurate indicator of pregnancy. Go and get a FRER/Superdrug test in the morning.

weloveearlysleeptime Sun 15-May-16 16:39:46

Thanks wheels, should I ignore the lack of a smiley face on the CB monitor then? and what's with the brown discharge?

yes will go out to get an FRER/superdrug tomorrow fourormore just that the brown discharge with nausea threw me off and made me wonder.

Fourormore Sun 15-May-16 16:44:47

Yeah I can understand that. I had a couple of cycles where I tested with OPKs and convinced myself I was, only for my period to arrive a couple of days later. Fingers crossed you get the result you want in the morning smile

ohnonotanother1 Sun 15-May-16 18:16:02

Interesting - just been contemplating this on another thread. I usually have no real line on an opk at this point in my cycle (6dpo and I'm pretty certain that really was ov date) but had a fairly dark one yesterday and today. Pic to the left is what I usually get and the two on the right are yesterday/today. Only time will tell...

Wheels are yours in order of when you took them, ie did they get progressively darker? Wonder how far in advance of your period they'd start to get darker - did you test any sooner than 5 days before?

Intriguing...

Wheels1986 Mon 16-May-16 16:03:49

ohno yes they go in date order from the top. My period was due on Feb 19th/20th, and these lines started showing up around Feb 10th, so they are from Feb 10th - Feb 15th inclusive. I thought at first I'd ovulated late (I was using the Ovia app and it said I should have ovulated around Feb 1st, but I never had a positive ovulation result around this date), but when they kept getting darker and were still showing after 5 or 6 days I began to think otherwise! I waited until Feb 23rd then to do the test which showed up straight away.

weloveearly I'm obviously no expert, but I had brown/red spotting around Feb 11th/12th which I am now assuming was an implantation bleed... Let us know how you get on!

beckiwiththegoodhair Mon 16-May-16 16:11:39

Hi there. If you use an opk and its past your fertile period and it comes up positive, there is a good chance you are pregnant. LH and HCG are chemically extremely similar. An opk can give you a positive result for pregnancy but it doesn't work the other way, a HPT cannot give you a positive for LH surge. Don't just trust the opk though, go and get an early HPT and find out for sure. If it's neg then try again in another 5 days. Fingers crossed you get a BFP! smile

weloveearlysleeptime Mon 16-May-16 17:31:05

Thanks beckie and wheels, it was a BFN this morning with an early HPT. spotting and cramping stopped as well. am fully expecting AF to rear her head tomorrow. It's already CD29 for me today doubt implantation bleeding can occur so late!? (@ CD28 as it was yesterday) smile

beckiwiththegoodhair Mon 16-May-16 22:30:53

Sorry about you BFN weloveearly, if no AF in the next couple of days then definitely do another test! Im on cd16, waiting until 28th before i do a HPT, if no AF. Listening to my body atm, bbs been noticeably bigger since before ovulation, hoping thats a good sign! Lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now