Is anybody just DTD regularly & hoping it happens?

(15 Posts)
HighHopes16 Fri 06-May-16 11:02:50

I've joined a few threads recently whilst TTC and everyone seems to be driving themselves crazy temping/using OPK's/cycle tracking/symptom spotting etc..

Is this the only way we're going to conceive anytime soon? Can't we just DTD regularly and hopefully catch it at the right time or am I being really naïve?

LidikaLikes Fri 06-May-16 11:07:03

I have a 6 year old, and a 3 year old. Both planned babies, both times I fell pregnant within 2 cycles with just having sex approx twice per week as normal.

I was 24 and 26 years old at each conception, good health, BMI of 24.

I'm not sure if those factors went in my favour, but all went fine!

I'm 31 now and about to start TTC DC3. Planning to just go into it with the same mindset as before and see what happens.

Not sure if you're being naive, OP. I suppose there's so many variables for people and we're just seeing a snapshot of their situation on screen.

Try it and see what happens!

gingerbreadmanm Fri 06-May-16 11:08:52

I arent ttc yet but when i am in the next few months just try and dtd every other day maybe stick legs up in air for half an hour around ovulation will be my way to conceive.

I'd be a nightmare using all the other things lol!

I don't think you're being naieve at all. Good luck grin

hanflan Fri 06-May-16 11:50:09

Some people don't get the opportunity to dtd that regularly (other children that don't sleep etc.) so knowing the day that you ovulate can really be helpful! Of course if you dtd regularly you will have just as much chance smile

honeysucklejasmine Fri 06-May-16 11:52:29

That's the philosophy on "Just Shagging" on the conception board. Though they do slip occasionally

HighHopes16 Fri 06-May-16 14:52:01

Lidika It's nice to hear an 'effortless conception' story.

I'm 25, BMI 26, good health & DH and I dtd 2/3 times a week. I've been off the pill since January and we haven't 'got lucky' yet but trying to be relaxed about everything.

honey Could you link me to the "Just Shagging" thread?

maplebaby Fri 06-May-16 15:50:33

I don't use OPKs or temp etc and dtd as much as I can throughout my cycle - I got scared off them when they were never positive for ovulation! That said, I do think it's good to know when in your cycle you are ovulating - I think everyone has their own way of coping with the ordeal of TTC, especially now I'm into cycle 15 smile

I'm tempted to start temping (actually have a thermometer I bought off amazon in the drawer, unopened!) now that my last set of blood tests showed I was ovulating!

I'm going to be having IUI in a couple of months so I think I need to get more of an idea as to when I do - good luck!

RhinestoneCowgirl Fri 06-May-16 15:58:57

It took us about 7 months of 'just shagging' for me to get pg with first DC. It felt like ages at the time but it really wasn't in retrospect. I was 27 at the time.

DC2 took only a month without contraception, and as we were still sleep deprived from toddler DS I was a little surprised!

bibbetybob Fri 06-May-16 16:02:20

Our conception of DD was pretty lucky. We decided to "see what happens" and just DTD every couple of days or so when we felt like it. I did use an app to find out my most fertile days but can't actually remember if we put it in practice. It only took two months for me to conceive and I'd come off the pill relatively recently before- I was expecting it to take at least six months.
I know we were very lucky though and might not find it so easy next time.

Parney Fri 06-May-16 16:18:08

I'm similar age/stats as you and off the pill late Jan as well OP. We were attempting the same approach as you until curiosity got the better of me and I picked up some cheapie OPKs, 5 for a pound. Did them this cycle and second day was positive so got busy that weekend and BFP 2 weeks later. I honestly didn't think I'd be doing them but can't imagine TTC without them as I don't get any other O symptoms. Very handy for estimating due date and figuring out a pattern for future cycles. Lots of luck for you and your OH, but don't be put off OPKs!!

n0ne Fri 06-May-16 16:51:17

I got pregnant 3 times (2 ended in mc) simply by tracking my periods on Clue (or a similar app) and DTDing once during my fertile window. I didn't bother temping or testing ovulation, but did become aware of cm changes after a while. I also know loads of people who were doing the whole shebang for months on end and getting nowhere who decided to calm down and pack it in, and then got pg very quickly.

StubbleTurnips Fri 06-May-16 16:53:57

With DD we just DTD whenever we felt like it, no tracking of anything. Took 6 months.

This time round did the same thing, 4 months.

I have no idea what the TLAs mean in your OP!

everdene Fri 06-May-16 17:37:44

I totally wish I could be just relaxed but I'm a bit anxious and it kind of gives me a structure, I know that is sad! When I did exams at school I'd be the one with a coloured revision timetable etc! grin

I know it's really daft but I feel as though temping, opk sticks and cycle tracking are becoming a bit of a way to channel my impatience as I'm ttc #1 and desperate to be a mum!

Would totally just chill if it stopped being fun/got obsessive. Right now my DH has damaged his back so we aren't Dtd much anyway!

AliceScarlett Sat 07-May-16 00:35:45

Look for the it's only bloody JS 60! Thread. We call opks contraband wink

Willberry Sat 07-May-16 10:24:16

Me and DH are taking the same approach, he feels testing etc will take the fun out of it. If it doesnt happen quickly might be tempted though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now