Talk

Advanced search

Irregular cycles - time to see a doctor?

(6 Posts)
satsooma Wed 04-May-16 13:15:32

I've been off the pill for 7 months and since then had cycles of: 38, 59, 29 and 55 days. Some of these periods have been so light that I didn't really need tampons/pads. We stopped using condoms 4 months ago. Since then I have seen clear LH spikes using OPKs on CD14, but then I don't get my period for another month or so. Does this mean that I am not actually ovulating?

I know that the pill can mess up your cycle and that 4 months into TTC is very early be going to a GP about things. The thing is, my periods have been irregular like this (anything from 28 to 60 days) since I was a teenager, so it is not a new development.

I am 31 and want 2 or 3 children. At what point do I need to go see a GP?

Purplerain067 Wed 04-May-16 13:44:54

I could have written this post, only I had the implant not the pill.

So far my cycles have been 34, 37, 47 and 31 days long. I am currently on day 44. I think some months I ovulate and others I don't, although I always have EWCM and other ovulation symptoms.

It's so frustrating. I did see my GP about this and he said I should try and lose at least 10% of my body weight as my bmi is very high ATM.

I think you should see a doctor. Fingers crossed for you flowers

satsooma Wed 04-May-16 14:11:41

Interesting. I did lose almost 25% of my body weight prior to TTC. I guess I knew I would struggle with irregular periods and I had heard that losing weight would help. I reached a healthy BMI quite a while ago though, so it looks like that isn't going to be a magic solution for me.

BoBo90 Wed 04-May-16 18:18:12

Most Gp's will say to wait a year as it can take that long for cycles to return to normal.

Feel free to join us on the TTc after stopping the pill thread. Lots of irregular cycles and support x

satsooma Wed 04-May-16 19:55:56

Thanks BoBo. What worries me is that I have always had irregular cycles. So I don't expect they will ever go back to normal. I don't know if that makes a difference to when I should see my GP.

boldlygoingsomewhere Wed 04-May-16 19:59:51

It may be worth getting checked out in case you have PCOS as that causes irregular cycles. Like you, my cycles were always very irregular and trying to conceive was hard.
I was within normal bmi but top end, lost a bit of wait to put me in the middle and since then my cycles have regulated to 34 days. Too much carb and sugar in my diet also throws them out of whack.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now