Second MC, what should I ask consultant this afternoon?

(19 Posts)
FrazzleRock Tue 26-Apr-16 11:53:41

I had another MC at the weekend. It was terribly early, unlike last time, so we didn't have much chance for it to sink in but it's still shit.

Anyway, I saw my consultant yesterday who wanted to do bloods to double check it was all over. I know it is, in fact I did a test this morning and it was a BFN.
Is there anything I should ask him this afternoon when I get my results? Is there anything he should check for? Should I bother asking about taking progesterone in my next pregnancy maybe, seeing as I have PCOS? I want to ask him to write up suggestions to my GP.

I just don't want to waste the appointment as I don't think I'll get another on my insurance (they only cover PCOS issues and pregnancy complications - I don't think that includes miscarriages) so it'll be back to our lovely NHS and I know they won't be able to investigate until I've had at least 3 MCs.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

sizethree Tue 26-Apr-16 13:05:52

I'm so sorry for your losses. It's cripplingly unfair.
I had 3 before my DD arrived but I had a wonder GP who did all the tests after my second MC, so may be worth asking your consultant (I'm on the older side at 35 at the time so maybe that's why she bent the rules a bit).
Also you could ask about talking part in a medical trial if that's something your interested in?
My DD is the result of the Response trial. It was a bounce blind trial with drug vs placebo and I will find out in the summer which one I was on. With medical trials the care is brilliant and you'd be offered lots of monitoring.

sizethree Tue 26-Apr-16 13:07:53

Bounce was meant to be 'double'. Sorry, I should proof read!

wheat32 Tue 26-Apr-16 13:14:27

I would get your thyroid levels checked. I had 2 early miscarriages caused by hypothyroidism due to my first pregnancy. I then went on to have a successful pregnancy once I had started thyroxine. Thinking if you. X

FrazzleRock Tue 26-Apr-16 13:15:05

Thanks so much for your response size I am 37 in a couple of months and I have two DC from a previous relationship. Both of which were extremely hard to conceive as I was only ovulating three times a year, if that.

Fast forward to now and I appear to be ovulating regularly as have had two MC in the past 2 months - the first one we got to almost nine weeks and was my first MC (MMC actually) so was a real shock, we were unbelievably devastated and we'd made so many plans, including selling our flats to purchase a bigger house to live in together.
Also I've been having extremely short cycles the past 6 months (as opposed to the mega long ones I was having when ttc the DC years ago)

I will ask about trials and will have a quick google for the Response trial you did.

Thanks again size very helpful!

FrazzleRock Tue 26-Apr-16 13:20:37

wheat I have hypothyroid which is kept under control with thyroxine. I've had it for years and years. But thank you! xx

FrazzleRock Tue 26-Apr-16 13:41:25

A friend of mine has just suggested baby aspirin? I thought that was just for once you are pregnant, not for TTC?

LondonBerry Tue 26-Apr-16 14:14:04

I had 2 early miscarriages.

They test my blood to see how it clots etc and I have APS syndrome.

So advised to take 75mg aspirin every day.

sizethree Tue 26-Apr-16 19:22:58

Hi frazzle, how did you get on this afternoon with the consultant? Hope it was constructive and you both come up with a care plan for a future pregnancy.

FrazzleRock Tue 26-Apr-16 23:23:24

Hey, it was ok. Consultant said I could have retained products from previous MC causing the heavy bleeding. He even said that would cause preg tests to show positive then neg then positive again and so on...I think he was suggesting I might not even have been preg the second time. I said it must have been a pregnancy as I had such strong preg symptoms for past two weeks.
Anyway, I had a scan and no retained products, just tail end of MC. So hopefully the bleeding will stop soon so we can get back to the fun and games for Project Baby, take 3. Though I am still pouring with blood when I sit on the loo hmm
I asked him about taking baby aspirin, he said not advisable as thins the blood which would make it hard for baby to cling onto uterus. (Odd as I've only read good things). He said progesterone in early preg would be a good idea though.
I just feel so weak, constantly thirsty and cold. Need vitamins and minerals to make up for all I've lost blood I think.
Didn't talk of a future care plan as pregnancy isn't covered on my insurance unfortunately. I'll go back to the NHS when I next fall preg and beg them for some progesterone and reassurance scans.

The scan has put my mind at rest and I have some fabulous images of my uterus and polycystic ridden ovaries to add to my collection.
I just wish the bleeding would fuck off so we can get down to business!

sizethree Wed 27-Apr-16 07:48:44

Sorry you're having such an awful time.
The bleeding must be such a pain and so draining, but also a relief that there's no complications from previous pregnancies. Very glad they checked you over thoroughly.
I took liquid iron supplements called Spatone to help boost my body (I spent most of 2 and a half years being pregnant so a lot for my body to cope with) so definitely worth trying those.
My first miscarriage was a MMC and such a terrible shock. I'm so sorry, I know how brutal it is. Then to suffer another so soon after is just horrific. You lose that joy and innocence of pregnancy.
But you sound like a fighter so you'll get through this really shitty bit and it'll all be worth it when you get to hold your screaming pink newborn.
In case you're interested, here's the link to the NHS medical trials: www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Clinical-trials/Pages/clinical-trial.aspx?Condition=Miscarriage
The SIM one is run by Prof Quenby who is one of the leaders in recurrent miscarriage research, so you'd be in excellent hands. You need a GP referral and to travel to Coventry for the procedure. I enquirer about it and it sounds really positive. (I'd love a sibling for my daughter, but they are only recruiting until October and I'm a little further than that away from coping with another baby).
Really hope your physical recovery speeds up as it's so miserable isn't it. Sounds like you've got a great attitude though and your head is is in good place to keep on trying.
Really wishing you the best of luck. X

FrazzleRock Wed 27-Apr-16 11:36:32

Thank you ever so much, size.
I had a look at their exclusions list, thyroid problems is on there, I'm hypothyroid but under control with thyroxine... sad Otherwise, I'd sign up immediately. Probably not even worth trying?

FrazzleRock Wed 27-Apr-16 11:50:10

I've emailed the two contacts. Hopefully they will make an exception!

sizethree Wed 27-Apr-16 12:10:16

Hopefully they'll make an exception, or alternatively there may be some treatment for thyroid during pregnancy. Were you on anything for your 2 recent ones?

FrazzleRock Wed 27-Apr-16 12:22:57

I was, and have been for many years, on thyroxine. I have reglular blood tests so I know my levels are fine. I also take Metformin for PCOS.

sizethree Wed 27-Apr-16 12:41:24

Hmmmph, seems like if it's under control then it's unfair to exclude you from trials as it's clearly not the issue.
I had every test under the sun done and there was never a reason behind my losses. But the 'just bad luck' line wears very thin with me!

FrazzleRock Wed 27-Apr-16 14:56:59

I can imagine. After only two I'm struggling to accept 'bad luck'. I'm going to go to my GP and demand a blood test for any clotting issues. At least then I will know whether or not baby aspirin is worth taking. Though, I guess I wouldn't have had my 2 DSs years ago, and in the ten years I was with my ex we didn't have one MC. This is all new to me and starting to worry my partner and I are unable to make healthy babies sad
It's just so baffling.

I know Spatone, I used to take that as I have had relatively low iron in the past. More recently I have taken Feroglobin so I should start that up again really.

sizethree Wed 27-Apr-16 20:32:16

pregnancy is such a lottery. It died seem there's no rhyme or reason to things.
I'll find out in the summer if I was on the drug or the placebo on my medical trial but I'm thinking that even if I was on the drug, that doesn't prove that it was the drug that helped as I could have had a sucessful pregnancy my chance anyway. I'm kind of hoping that I was on the placebo so I regain trust in my body that I can have proper sucessful pregnancies.
It's just so unbelievably shitty, I really am sorry you're going through it too. I hate to think of others dealing with the same hear real as me. I wish there was a way to protect us!
Very much hoping to see your name pop up on the pregnancy boards in the coming months. Wishing you HUGE success. X

FrazzleRock Thu 28-Apr-16 16:12:10

Yes it really is a lottery isn't it and there really is no rhyme nor reason.
I was oblivious to this when I was TTC my 2 DC. I just wanted to get pregnant! When I finally did, they stuck.

Now I'm getting pregnant easily but can't hang on to them.

I'd love to know what the hell my body is playing at.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now