Trying to conceive after miscarriage

(11 Posts)
Jsh125 Mon 25-Apr-16 20:50:23

I know there's several threads on this already but hard to find them so starting my own.

Me & my husband decided to TTC & I stopped taking the pill in late Jan, gave it a month or so to sort itself out & was over the moon to get a bfp a couple of weeks ago. However the joy was very short lived as a few days later I started spotting which then turned into bleeding & has ended in a virtually negative pregnancy test using fmu today (I had to squint & hold it up to the light to see anything).

Physically i feel completely fine, it wasn't much more than a heavier period with not much cramping at all but have been so surprised by how much it's affected me emotionally. I feel so so disappointed & bad for my husband as he was so excited, I feel guilty that i couldn't even keep a baby for a week. Turns out i wanted a baby so much more than i realised. Anyway...

We're both on the same page and are keen to just crack on & try again but I have no idea if/when I'll ovulate again. The bleeding has stopped, my temp has dropped back to pre ovulation temp so do I count cd1 as today or is it slightly earlier? I know in theory you just have lots of sex but in reality you can't do it every other day for a month!!!

Some of the things I've read said you might not ovulate first cycle - does anyone know why? Am hoping since I think I'm mostly back to normal that I'll ovulate in the next couple of weeks.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience & if you did get pregnant straight away did it all go to plan? I know some places say wait a cycle but they all say the only reason is to help with dating pregnancy. Am not worried about that as it can be someone else's problem to work out!! If I know when I ovulate I should get a good idea of my dates.

If anyone has any experience I'd love to hear it

northdownmummy Mon 25-Apr-16 20:58:01

It took me 7 months to conceive again after miscarriage. I became quite obsessive about it, using ovulation predictor sticks and being very insistent about making sure we didn't miss fertile dates.

It wasn't fun and put quite a strain on us.

If I could share anything from my experience it would be to allow yourself time to grieve and try to relax about getting pregnant again.

raddersmrs Mon 25-Apr-16 22:16:29

I just suffered a chemical pregnancy too. Found out was pregnant on my birthday and a week later (Saturday) had a miscarriage. I have counted first day of bleeding as CD1 and plan to start trying again immediately this month.

Apparently eating Brazil nuts and pineapple in the tww helps with implantation so going to be doing that this month!

Writerwannabe83 Tue 26-Apr-16 07:23:35

I had a miscarriage at the very beginning of March, I had good strong BFPs for two weeks but then miscarried.

I classed Day 1 of the bleed as CD1 and then I ovulated on CD17, I then had my period on CD35.

I then next ovulated on CD16 (which was about 4 days ago) so now I'm just waiting to see which CD my period arrived on.

Things seems to have snapped back into routine pretty quickly.

My DH was eager to start trying again straight away but I really didn't want to. For a good month after the miscarriage I was in tears most days and jumping back on the horse wasn't even on my radar. It's been about 6 weeks since the miscarriage now and I still don't really feel ready to try again but maybe in a few months time I will.

Jsh125 Tue 26-Apr-16 17:36:23

Thanks so much to each of you for all your input & sorry you've found yourselves in the same situation.

I think now it's happened I just want my body to go back to normal as quickly as possible and just try again. I was emotional about it but feeling a lot more normal now all the bleeding has stopped!

Completely understand how easy it is to stress yourself out with testing and charting but I'm also the sort of person who likes to know exactly where I'm at & if I don't ovulate this month I'd rather know than wonder for 2 weeks.

Fingers crossed for better news soon!

FaFoutis Tue 26-Apr-16 17:42:35

I tried again straight away after a mc at 12 weeks. I got pregnant the first month, DD was born 3 and a half months after the first baby's due date.
I used ovulation tests just about every day after the mc. It wasn't a good idea really as I wasn't well, but I felt desperate to be pregant again.
Good luck Jsh.

KittensandKnitting Tue 26-Apr-16 17:58:57

Hello,

Sorry you have all gone through this flowers

I am on my 5th pregnancy, and praying this one sticks!

My two most recent were one at 7 weeks (thought I was 10) in november and one last month which was a chemical pregnancy.

I am now pregnant again smile had no idea this time round that I had ovulated (I use the clear blue monitor and had a month of low but looking at sticks sure I ovulated CD10/11)

It took a long time for my body to return to "normal" after the one in November but with my chemical my body, it would seem treated it like a "normal" period. I was advised to treat the first day of bleeding as CD1.

I found the chemical physically much easier to deal with but very hard emotionally too - as soon as I see a line I think about the entire future of that child, it always is difficult, so I understand exactly how you feel OP.

I am a fan of the monitor, although it takes a month or so to work out your cycle it has kept me level headed throughout everything as it takes out the guess work, it's not for everyone (and obviously didn't work that well this month!) but it helps me.

Be kind to yourself, what has happened is emotionally draining but just because it has happened once does not mean it will happen again flowers in fact it's highly likely second time will be all ok for you smile

The clear blue handheld stick thing that measures low/high/peak maybe good for you as your early in your cycle, start on CD6 and your be doing the same as the monitor depending on your cycle. Not cheap but may help you feel like your being proactive.

Also do reach out if you need some support, some days are easier than others

Jsh125 Wed 27-Apr-16 14:12:14

Thanks so much for sharing all of your stories. I really want to try again this month, have got a negative pregnancy test & feel completely back to normal so hoping I'll ovulate this month. However I'm also worried it might happen again so if I get a positive test I won't be able to get excited. We got pregnant so easily last time I'm concerned it might take ages this time.

Is it really just for dating purposes that they recommend waiting a month following mc? Mine was so early it was only a few days after my period would have been due anyway so not sure my body has gone too out of whack anyway.

Thanks again for your input, it's really helped me.smile

FaFoutis Wed 27-Apr-16 18:51:56

Yes, it is just for dating usually.
Pregnancy after miscarriage can be quite a different and anxious experience, you will find lots of support on mumsnet - it helped me a huge amount.

Ziege Wed 27-Apr-16 21:13:35

I had a miscarriage at 6 or seven weeks last November and although it was clear to us that we wanted to try again, the dating argument for waiting made sense to me. Maybe I was just thinking too much about it but I thought I don't want to be in the situation that my period doesn't come back and I wouldn't know whether I'm pregnant again or not even having a cycle yet. So we waited. Am now 16 weeks pregnant (am I allowed writing on the conception topic?)....

Jsh125 Sun 01-May-16 16:43:30

Thanks so much for responding, it really helps to hear other people's stories & congratulations to those who have now got pregnant again.

Am using opk's at the moment just to see what on earth my body is doing, can't make myself ovulate so if I'm not going to then I'd rather know & not be waiting for 2 weeks wondering if I might be pregnant again.

It's cd13 if you count the first day of proper mc bleeding as cd1 & no positive opk so far, am expecting it to be late if it happens at all but waiting it out makes each day seem like a year!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now