Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had an early miscarriage that took a long time to pass?

(9 Posts)
chloe1988sb Fri 08-Apr-16 15:24:35

I found out I was pregnant on the 22nd of March using a one step test. My period was due around the 25th. I began to spot on the early hours of the 28th. I spotted continually until the 1st of april and now I have full on bleeding which is just like my period which is still here now.

I did go to a&e and I had a scan on Friday 1st of april. I had been having sharp pain on and off on one side and was scared of an ectopic. They did a vaginal ultrasound and found nothing anywhere but they did find thickened endometrium. They took two blood tests 48 hours apart, my beta hcg dropped from 167 to 144.

I have another blood test next week. Does this sound like a normal miscarriage? Considering I miscarried too early for them to see the sac on an ultrasound shouldn't it all be over by now and shouldn't my levels be at 0?

I have been taking tests every day and they are getting fainter. I now get a negative unless I test with FMU or haven't drank anything for a few hours and have dark pee.

kirinm Fri 08-Apr-16 15:28:12

I'm sorry you're going through this.

During one of my miscarriages my levels dropped after about two weeks. I had an ectopic (not treated surgically) and that took nearly 3 months for my levels to get back to not pregnant.

If you experience any ectopic symptoms, go straight back to hospital - if nothing else they can do more bloods. thanks

chloe1988sb Fri 08-Apr-16 15:29:33

Did you manage to conceive again? How did they know it was an ectopic? On my ultrasound they couldn't see anything anywhere.

kirinm Fri 08-Apr-16 15:48:36

I've had 3 early miscarriages, a missed miscarriage and an ectopic. I have been seen in the recurrent miscarriage clinic for various tests but am taking a break for now. Don't use me as a guide though. Many many women miscarry and go on to have children.

With my ectopic, they couldn't see anything on a scan for a long time. They relied heavily on my blood test results. My levels would go up (but not double) and then they would go down (a tiny bit) go up again and then not change. It felt like an age but it was probably no more than 2 weeks when it was obvious it wasn't a viable pregnancy and that I wasn't going to miscarry without intervention, I was given something called methotrexate. Luckily, the pregnancy didn't grow enough to result in damage to a tube and that's why I was allowed the methotrexate. I actually had to have two lots as my hormone levels didn't decrease enough after the first injection.

With my ectopic, my levels didn't drop as much as yours have without intervention and I didn't really bleed - I had spotting only.

Are you worried about an ectopic particularly?

kirinm Fri 08-Apr-16 15:49:49

Oh and they only saw something around my ovaries after a week or two. They told me that it's hard to see anything on any scan until hormone levels are high - I think it was around 1500-2000 but I cany remember, it was quite a few years ago now.

SouthDownsSunshine Fri 08-Apr-16 16:00:22

Sorry to hear you're going through this. I suggest giving your early pregnancy unit a call. It can take a bit of time to miscarry, even early on - I've had one that my body seemed to want to keep hold of, and others that have been over super quickly.

SaggingTits Fri 08-Apr-16 16:09:27

Unfortunately yes, they can take a long time. I mc at 8 weeks and it took 4 weeks for me to even begin spotting.

Sorry you're going through this flowers

SaggingTits Fri 08-Apr-16 16:10:39

Forgot to say it took 3 weeks after the bleeding began for my levels to return to normal x

chloe1988sb Sat 09-Apr-16 15:03:14

I am worried about ectopic just because they mentioned it, and simply because some of the strange pains I have been experiencing. I have been getting pain in my left arm and the left hand side of my upper back and in the middle of my spine. It's a shooting pain and it goes away when I take ibuprofen. It seems to happen more at night when I am laying down in bed, and I tend to lay on my left side. Then I had some sharp shooting pain and some tenderness on the left hand side of my lower abdomen, but it seems to have gone now.

My pregnancy tests are getting much lighter. I only get a faint positive now with FMU. Every other test I take comes back completely negative and I seem to have finished bleeding.

I am panicking that my weight could be the cause of my miscarriage. I am 5'3 and I weigh 13st. I have been reading medical studies that say that obesity is linked to miscarriage. In my partner's words I am 'not that fat' but honestly I know I am.

I am staying in Ireland at the moment. A&E is a joke here. You have to wait there for 5 or 6 hours at any time of day. All the gyneas are men (which I am not all that bothered about but it takes some getting used to. I have always been more comfortable with a female doctor poking around down there). I had a gynea last week catch my clit on his wedding ring during an examination and it really hurt. He also got my beta hcg levels wrong. Another gynea gave me an ultrasound and he was really rough with the probe and it hurt like hell. I don't think he mean't it as he seemed like a very nice man.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now