Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Smear test and TCC

(13 Posts)
Cottagecosy Sun 03-Apr-16 10:42:25

Hello everyone. Long term lurker first time poster so be kind smile

Me and my DP had planned to start TCC this month after I came off the pill end of Jan. Cycles returned to normal straight away (very lucky I know!) and no concerns.

Yesterday received a letter inviting me for a smear.

My question is whether I should hold off TCC for this, although I'm not sure how long it will be till I can get an appointment. I know health wise it would be best to but I am gutted at having to wait another month or two to start trying.

We could start anyway but I worry that
- I get abnormal results in TWW due to pregnancy (I think this can happen) creating unnecessary worry
- if I fall pregnant before hand I think it presents risk of mc and so couldn't have it?
- if I don't go i will now be worrying something may have been picked up

I know I should just ask the GP and I will when they are open Monday but wondering if anyone has a similar experience they are willing to share?

Thank you!

frikadela01 Sun 03-Apr-16 10:48:38

I personally wouldn't worry about it. When I rang up for my smear I only had to wait 2 weeks for the appointment which is neither here nor there really. I probably wouldn't be tracking ovulation etc until I'd had it but other than that I think I'd carry on as normal.

Cottagecosy Sun 03-Apr-16 10:56:13

Thanks frikadela- so you booked anyway and didn't worry about possibly being pregnant?

frikadela01 Sun 03-Apr-16 12:12:31

Yes. Found out I was pregnant about a month after the smear so probably conceived around the date of the smear. Didn't even think twice about it to be honest. Currently 26+6 weeks and getting g kicked to death so everything's fine.

I guess if it came back abnormal it'd be different though.

Canters15 Sun 03-Apr-16 12:24:34

I had my smear three days before I found out I was pregnant. Thought all the cramping was smear related but was actually implantation blush

It was our 5th month of trying so I'd started to think it wouldn't happen so wasn't too fussed about the timing when I booked the smear. Doesn't seem to have caused any problems touch wood.

Canters15 Sun 03-Apr-16 12:25:49

Oh and smear results were normal too btw

happylass Sun 03-Apr-16 13:26:57

If you are concerned could you make sure you get the smear done in the first half of your cycle ie before you OV so there is no chance of you being pg? I had an inconclusive smear (this means they didn't collect enough to cells to give an accurate result) just before I was due to start IVF. I rang up Cervical Screening Wales and they said not to delay my treatment as loads of women get pg just as their smears are due. They told me to just get it done when I could.

Cottagecosy Sun 03-Apr-16 13:50:29

Brilliant thanks everyone that's really reassuring- especially that it clearly didn't affect you conceiving canters and frikadela! I shall book Monday smile

JoMalones Sun 03-Apr-16 20:04:14

I think the only problem is if they use KY as that's not sperm friendly!

bingisthebest Sun 03-Apr-16 20:09:13

I take smears and I wouldn't be taking a smear of there is any chance you were pg as there is a tiny risk and I wouldn't want to do anything to upset this. The sample is taken from the neck of the womb so if a baby is growing could cause damage.
However lots of women have smears and then find out they were pg I'm sure and baby is fine.
You should be able to get it done asap anyway.

Cottagecosy Sun 03-Apr-16 22:07:29

Thanks Bing- I'll ask the nurse once I know when the appointment will be. That was my worry though.

Jo- good point although should only make a difference for that day I guess

WickerHearts Sun 03-Apr-16 22:32:40

I'm worrying about this too, I'm 7 weeks pregnant and my smear would be due next month. Obviously it is going to have to wait now...didn't think about that before TTC confused Probably worth getting it done before for peace of mind, I wish I had done xx

Cottagecosy Mon 04-Apr-16 12:11:18

I'm sure it will be fine wicker. I know what you mean though, you don't think about it until you get the letter and then it makes you worry. Good luck with your pregnancy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now