Talk

Advanced search

TTC and Mental Health

(3 Posts)
SickRose Sat 02-Apr-16 21:13:58

I'm new to mumsnet and there's a lot of threads to look through so I'm sorry if this should go elsewhere.

I'm just looking for some advice and reassurance really. I've suffered with mental health problems since I was 15 (currently 24), mainly depression and anxiety. I started on medication last year but came off after a few months as I didn't like the side effects. I left the job that was causing it to worsen so have been managing using coping techniques. However the thought of starting a family is causing my anxiety to flare up occasionally. Most of the time I'm excited and happy but every now and then I panic about what could go wrong and questioning everything! Am I the right weight? Am I the right age? Are our finances suitable?
I guess what I'm asking is, are these typical feelings? Should I ignore them or do I have more thinking to do?

FifiRebel Sat 02-Apr-16 21:23:52

Hi SickRose - my pregnancy was unplanned but my health history is v similar to yours. I've really struggled with anxiety and depression during my pregnancy. It has never been so bad as the feelings I've experienced which I guess could be down to hormones. I'd encourage you to think about your coping mechanisms / treatment etc as early as possible as it may be harder once pregnant.

I had come off medication before I got pregnant and really wish I hadn't. I've ended up starting new meds at 20 weeks to get through the symptoms.

Best of luck with your TTC

SickRose Sat 02-Apr-16 21:52:43

Thanks Fifi and congratulations! I hope the medication helps with your symptoms. I'll have a good think about them and I'll probably arrange to see my GP before I start trying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now