Talk

Advanced search

Naproxen while ttc

(3 Posts)
cakesandphotos Fri 18-Mar-16 23:07:56

I have RA and have been prescribed naproxen for the inflammation and pain. Initially a nurse said it could muck with my cycles but the next appointment I had I was told it would be OK. Now I'm ready online that it can make it harder to get pregnant. I'm confused and upset that I've been taking something that's doing the opposite of what I want! Any advice welcome!

happymonkey13 Sat 19-Mar-16 15:39:21

Hi there, I have psoriatic arthritis and used naproxen for a bit before I was diagnosed (my GP thought I had RSI) but then came off it as I found out it is linked to an increased risk of miscarriage. I was diagnosed with PA when I was about 8 weeks pregnant and I had had lots of horrible bleeding and trips to the early pregnancy unit for scans as I kept thinking I had miscarried. My rheumatologist thought this was due to the Naproxen and I was lucky not to have lost the baby.

Most of the medication for inflammatory arthritis is not safe when pregnant so you need to be careful. I came off all meds and managed the pain with steriod injections (these are amazing!) until I was 20 weeks pregnant, and then tried sulphasalazine which doesn't harm the baby. Though, once I had given birth my rheumatologist told me that this drug wasn't great if I was breastfeeding, so I went back to steriod injections only for 6 months, then stopped breastfeeding and started methotrexate.

I would try to get an appointment with a rheumatologist to get medication advice as you do have to be really careful with arthritis drugs and ttc. On the plus side, when you do get pregnant, you might be lucky and go into remission! I did and it's very common. It was lovely having normal joints again, (though the issues came back once I'd had my baby. )

cakesandphotos Sat 19-Mar-16 22:41:49

Thanks for your reply smile I think I'll steer clear of the naproxen while TTC and pregnant. I have codeine for the pain but it makes me feel awfully sick.
I asked my doctor what I could be on and she said pretty much just naproxen so I was a bit annoyed to find out it's not advised.
I'm so hoping I go into remission when I get pregnant! That would be amazing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now