Talk

Advanced search

To wait or not to wait a cycle after miscarriage?

(13 Posts)
alltalknobaby Tue 15-Mar-16 21:39:54

I have had 2 early miscarriages since December (4.5 weeks and 6.5 weeks). The last one was 2 weeks ago. I'm wondering when we can start trying again - there is so much conflicting advice out there. The nurse at the EPU and my GP advised us to wait a cycle. My GP actually said if we don't, and we get pg straight away, I'm more likely to miscarry again. I'm sure that's rubbish?!

Just wondered if anyone had any experience or knowledge about this... Thanks x

GherkinsOnToast Tue 15-Mar-16 21:41:35

We were advised to wait a month as it makes it easier to date the pregnancy but there was no added risk to not waiting.

Loki17 Tue 15-Mar-16 21:50:05

I waited a cycle. Sometimes your body needs a break. Two cycles later and im still not pregnant. I guess our bodies wont actually conceive until they are ready though.

Ceeceecee Tue 15-Mar-16 21:55:12

I didn't wait, and got pg the same month. I did miscarry (actually my fourth though I had a baby after the first two). After that I saw a consultant who said he thought I should give it three months. He made a point of telling me that the evidence didn't support waiting but that he felt I needed to recover physically and mentally - and that he really wasn't sure about the new recommendations not to advise waiting. So I waited, and my next pg resulted in dc2. I'll always be grateful to him for going against the grain and telling me what he felt was right rather than the current protocol.

neolara Tue 15-Mar-16 22:00:10

I don't think there is a medical reason to wait. However, I think sometimes a bit of time can help to heal emotionally. I had 4 mcs. I found my last (7th) pregnancy very difficult and I felt it might have been easier if I hadn't got pregnant immediately after my last mc.

Good luck.

Writerwannabe83 Tue 15-Mar-16 23:17:22

I miscarried last weekend (10 days ago) at 5 weeks and my DH assumed we'd just start TTC again straight away.

I don't know why but I really don't want to. Maybe it's because I'm scared it will happen again.

I have decided to wait for at least one cycle and then consider trying again.

Baconyum Tue 15-Mar-16 23:21:42

I've been told by several gynaes it's best to wait at least 3 months. While the evidence doesn't necessarily support that their own experience is that mc risk is increased if you don't wait at least 2 months. The problem with research in mc is there are so many different causes it's almost impossible to have a decent control groups plus it can be hard to confirm a pregnancy/mc too.

Baconyum Tue 15-Mar-16 23:22:57

Sorry should say I've lost 3 myself.

So sorry for all losses OP and pps flowers

Canyouforgiveher Tue 15-Mar-16 23:27:40

Sorry about your miscarriages, OP.

I didn't wait after a mis but I had a d&c. My obgyn told me to wait 2 cycles. I ignored this. My sister (a midwife) told me your womb is never better than after a d&c (I did not regard this as medical advice by the way-just sister advice).

In your case, you've been through the mill a bit. I might wait a month or so and then try.

10storeylovesong Tue 15-Mar-16 23:51:03

After 2 years of infertility we had an early miscarriage in January. We tried again in February and had another early miscarriage. 3 weeks later and I'm still bleeding and cramping and the GP has said that I now have abnormal uterine bleeding as a result of all the hormones and my body not knowing whether it coming or going. I wish I'd waited.

Ceeceecee Wed 16-Mar-16 07:38:02

10storey that happened to me. Certainly had weeks of bleeding and cramping and it turned out that the mc wasn't complete so i would go to the early scan unit to get it checked.

Abnormal uterine bleeding may not indicate any longer-term issue - sounds like a description of what is going on for you now.

alltalknobaby Wed 16-Mar-16 09:05:19

Thanks so much for all of your advice and experiences everyone. I'm sorry for all of your losses. Reading your stories, I have decided to wait. It's only a month and while I'm worried about time (I'm 37 in May and this is #1) I would rather not go through another one.

Emotionally I feel very ready but physically who knows - spotting started again at the weekend so something is obviously not quite settled.

Thanks again xx

Baconyum Wed 16-Mar-16 21:38:37

Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now