Talk

Advanced search

Does ovulation mean no fertility issues?

(5 Posts)
CandyCrush77 Sun 28-Feb-16 11:09:55

DH and I started TTC a couple of months ago. We both have 2 kids each from previous marriages, all conceived with no problems although all in our early 30s (we are now 39 (me) and 46 (him). We both thought that we would conceive straight away and were (probably stupidly) surprised when it didn't happen. We are on day 14 of the 4th month of trying. To try to pinpoint ovulation I started using an ovulation kit and got a definite green light (or two dark lines!) on Friday evening (day 12) and we have obviously done the deed several times since then! Does having proof that I have ovulated mean that all is ok with me? I realise the sperm may not fertilise the egg etc but is the fact that I am ovulating indicative that there probably isn't an issue on my side? DH has read a few articles on older fathers (apparently the risks for men rocket at 45) and we've both managed to convince ourselves it isn't going to happen.

SockQueen Sun 28-Feb-16 13:40:15

4 months is not long, so don't get disheartened!

A positive OPK is good, but doesn't on its own actually mean you are ovulating - it means you have released the hormones which stimulate ovulation but not necessarily that an egg has actually been released. Temping can help see if that's happening, but a progesterone test is the only definitive answer. There's also the possibility of tube blockages etc. If you have had no success after 6 months, speak to your GP, but you may not be entitled to much help on the NHS as you already have children.

smellsofelderberries Sun 28-Feb-16 16:13:39

In short, no. I ovulate every month like clockwork, am only 29 and have been at this for 10 months, and we know DH has excellent sperm.

Just because you're ovulating every month does't mean you're producing good quality eggs that are able to fertilise and develop properly. I would give it another 2 months and then see the GP.

NYCBadger Sun 28-Feb-16 16:38:45

I have been ttc for 4 years and found out very recently that I needed to have polyps removed. I went to the doctors after a year of trying and until you have been trying for at least 2 years they won't do anything. Because of your ages I would go to the doctors, they might be more helpful than mine and a bit more re-assuring? Good luck smile

Junosmum Sun 28-Feb-16 17:51:51

4 months is no time at all, in couples in their 35 - 39 age group 80% will have conceived within a year.

As sockqueen said, a positive OPK doesn't mean you are ovulating, it just means that your body if producing the hormone which is required for you to ovulate. You may or may not be releasing an egg. If you are ovulating then the egg you release may not be fertilized - each month you have a roughly 25% of the egg, if there is one, being fertilized, of which about 25% implant. And that is in a healthy 30 year old couple with no fertility issues.

As you get older the quality of your eggs reduces, making them harder to fertilize and less likely to implant. The quality of a mans sperm also deteriorates.

Fertility issues can occur at any time, and can resolve themselves (obviously depending on what they are).

Keep trying and you'll likely conceive in the next few months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now