Talk

Advanced search

OPK's and miscarriage! So confused!!

(8 Posts)
naomihibb Sun 14-Feb-16 18:59:08

Hi everyone,

I had a miscarriage 2 weeks ago today , I just want to ttc again straight away and was advised that I don't need to wait. I took an OPK this morning and it was a good positive...fab I thought, but then I started worrying, but what if its still pregnancy hormones?! So I took a HPT and it was a very very very faint positive..surely I can't have HCG and be ovulating?! I am so confused!!

Thank ladies!

Naomi xxxx

AmyB1986 Sun 14-Feb-16 21:56:52

Hi Naomi, the same thing happened to me. It's took 4 weeks for the hcg to go from my system and for some reason the OPK's were really strong positives. A lot of women don't ovulate the first cycle after mc and it can take 3-4 weeks post miscarriage for the hormone chain to fire up again.

I'm 33 days since my mc bleeding started and my OPKs have been negative for the last week.

You can still TTC and some woman do get a BFP straight the way but your body is recovering still and may take a a few more weeks to realise what's happened.

Smidge001 Sun 14-Feb-16 22:05:21

As far as I know OPKs pick up pregnancy hormones too. Just not as sensitively as an actual pregnancy test stick. So you won't get very far with the OPKs till the HCG is all out of your system.
Doesn't mean you should stop ttc this month, just that it will be much harder to pinpoint ovulation.

AmyB1986 Sun 14-Feb-16 22:18:08

Yes smidge they do, but you would think they would be fainter as the hormone left the body not stronger? I don't know!
I just ignored mine until my bloods came back negative. Been testing twice daily since Tuesday to see if I do ovulate this month or not. Not holding hope for that but stranger things have happened

naomihibb Sun 14-Feb-16 22:46:04

How did you get bloods amy? They won't do bloods on me!! Did your bloods go back to zero?

Allisgood1 Sun 14-Feb-16 22:50:31

Sorry to hear about your mc.

I've had 3 mc's and with one of them the EPT never went negative. I called my dr who ordered a blood test and I still had hcg in my blood. Long story short, a bit of placenta had been retained and I required another ERPC. if you don't think you could be pregnant definitely have a blood test.

naomihibb Sun 14-Feb-16 22:53:35

Hi Allsgood, I am so sorry to hear about your losses too. I have just had my second, first time I had a D&C but this time I passed it all naturally and they scanned me on Tuesday to make sure I had passed everything - which they were pretty sure I had. I just feel so confused, it feels like we receive such jumbled/conflicting advice!

AmyB1986 Sun 14-Feb-16 23:05:01

I had no idea I was pregnant as I hadn't had af since finishing the depo jab in July, they didn't know my dates and I randomly tested during what I thought was af. They scanned me and couldn't actually be sure whether I was miscarrying or just too early to see a heart beat as there was still something in my womb hence the blood tests. The hcg levels on Tuesday last week were 19 so almost gone and presumably clear now.
Everything passed naturally for me but took a long time for my levels to fall within normal range (below 50)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now