Talk

Advanced search

Vitamins while TTC

(6 Posts)
mangotango15 Tue 09-Feb-16 16:14:36

Hi everyone,

this is my first mumsnet post smile.

I haven't started ttc yet, but finished my last packet of contraceptive pills this week.

I know, i'm supposed to take 400mcg of folic acid daily before becoming pregnant. I popped into boots to buy some and was overwhelmed by all the choices of pregnancy vitamins!

Can anyone recommend a particular brand? Is it worth buying pregnacare/centrum pre natal vitamins, or is folic acid on it's own all I need?

I've also read that vitamin D is now recommended for women ttc. I've always been borderline low with this in the past so I spoke to my GP about taking Vitamin D supplements and she said it's not needed, only folic acid.

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on this.

Thank you

dementedpixie Tue 09-Feb-16 17:47:37

Think your GP is wrong and that vitamin d and folic acid are recommended

dementedpixie Tue 09-Feb-16 17:49:40

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/vitamins-minerals-supplements-pregnant.aspx

nataliefruit Tue 09-Feb-16 18:22:15

Hi mango, I'm in exactly the same situation as you - taking my last contraceptive this week.

I'm taking a multivitamin at the moment which has vit D and folic acid but only 200mg & it has vitamin A which you're not supposed to take when upduffed so I'm taking this for now but will get a pregnancy multivitamin once I get a bit closer to TTC so I'd be interested in hearing about this as well (giving myself a few months for my cycles to get back to normal after a long time on the pill).

Was there an assistant in the boots pharmacy you could ask for advice? It's easy to go to the biggest brands but they're expensive & surely there can't be that much difference between them?

nataliefruit Tue 09-Feb-16 18:23:47

Should have said I'll be looking to get a pre-pregnancy vitamin as we get closer to ttc not a during pregnancy vitamin grin

mangotango15 Tue 09-Feb-16 20:46:38

Thanks for the link pixie. That's really helpful.

Natalie, I am the same. I want to give my body the chance to have a few natural cycles before ttc, as i've been on the pill for 13 years. We probably won't start trying till the end of summer, but would like to start taking vitamins now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now