We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

TTC #1. Is folic acid needed?!

(20 Posts)
Littlemisssugarplum88 Tue 09-Feb-16 12:00:23

Hi everyone,
I'm 27 and TTC baby #1 with my partner of nearly 3 years.
We have been having unprotected sex for about 12 months but not necessarily TTC, just if it ever happened it happened (which obviously it hasn't).
My doctor has advised me to start taking folic acid before pregnancy occurs. I just wondered if anyone else is taking folic acid before pregnancy and if it is actually needed as my iron levels are a good range.
Any advice is welcome.
Thanks for reading
Sarah xx

InspectorPenguin Tue 09-Feb-16 12:10:54

Hi Sarah,

Yes, anyone TTC should take folic acid (which is different to iron). The dosage depends on individual risk factors. Please read the NHS site for more information.

Good luck!

Pootles2010 Tue 09-Feb-16 12:12:38

Yes absolutely - in fact advice is that women of child bearing age should take it.

Littlemisssugarplum88 Tue 09-Feb-16 12:25:14

Thank you for your advice, I have bought some anyway so I think I will start taking it smile
Xx

MrsJayy Tue 09-Feb-16 12:29:20

I have spina bifida take your folic acid

MrsJayy Tue 09-Feb-16 12:30:28

Sorry that looks so blunt didn't mean to be

StringTheory Tue 09-Feb-16 12:31:46

Definitely take it. I paid under £2 for 90 tablets at Tesco so not expensive (unlike Pregnacare).

In fact this post has reminded me take today mine so thank you.

IamCarcass Tue 09-Feb-16 12:33:43

Google Anacephaly and that should give you your answer.

Pootles2010 Tue 09-Feb-16 15:33:27

Ooh thanks String, that sounds better than the £9 i paid angry is it covered with PREGNANT LADY branding?

Pootles2010 Tue 09-Feb-16 15:35:18

Re the Anacephaly thing - be aware there are some really awful images on that google search.

Littlemisssugarplum88 Tue 09-Feb-16 15:47:02

The doctor told me to start taking it straight away but obviously as I haven't got pregnant earlier (even tho we weren't officially trying) I'm just wondering how long it might take to conceive and if it would be OK taking the folic acid on a long term basis before pregnancy xx

MrsJayy Tue 09-Feb-16 15:55:43

It's fine taking folic acid long term .

Littlemisssugarplum88 Tue 09-Feb-16 15:58:44

Ok thank you! Are there any other vitamins/ supplements anyone could recommend or is folic acid the main one?xx

Wolpertinger Tue 09-Feb-16 16:01:54

Yes folic acid is to prevent spina bifida in your baby. It is nothing to do with iron levels or anaemia in pregnancy. And it is most effective at supporting your baby when it is minute, before you have a positive test so you need when TTC as if you only start once you have a positive test the damage could already be done.

Littlemisssugarplum88 Tue 09-Feb-16 16:04:05

I'm so glad I posted on here, you're all so helpful.
What's everyone's story? (If you don't mind sharing) smile xx

Headmelt Tue 09-Feb-16 16:06:28

It is advised to take folic acid for three months or more before getting pregnant and continue for at least another three months from the beginning of the pregnancy.

MrsJayy Tue 09-Feb-16 16:11:31

I had to take megadoses of folic acid when I was pregnant with DDS and they will need to take mega doses I might say to them to take it now can't do any harm (they are adults)

Peppaismyhomegirl Tue 09-Feb-16 16:13:38

We ttc our second for 14 months. Ovulation sticks the lot. We both took pre pregnancy vitamins and caught that month. Doesn't hurt and cousin help

Littlemisssugarplum88 Tue 09-Feb-16 16:33:23

Oh that's quite reassuring that you fell pregnancy on taking the supplements. I've had a blood test done recently which showed my ovulation levels were slightly on the lower side (I explained to the doctor that even tho we weren't actively trying I was still a little weary that I hadn't been caught after using no protection for 12 months). I am currently awaiting a gynae referral. Hoping that it will it be straight forwards :/ xx

Littlemisssugarplum88 Tue 09-Feb-16 16:35:18

*pregnant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now