Ovarian Cyst? What does this mean fertility wise?

(10 Posts)
Zoefitness Mon 08-Feb-16 09:55:40

Hi, thank you for reading.

I am feeling very deflated and clueless atm.

I have been ttc for about 6 months and thought that the DP's swimmers managed to swim their way to the egg on my last cycle as I was experiencing; dull cramping in my lower left side, nausea, indigestion, really painful breasts, veiny breasts & missed AF.

Cruelly, I ended up in A&E Sat morning, in agony and bleeding. The doctor was a little unsure himself as to what the problem was because of the pregnancy symptoms and the fact that when he did a PT test it came out negative and this therefore ruled out a MC, so he came to the conclusion that I probably had an ovarian cyst which I need to go for an ultrasound to confirm.

Noticeably, yesterday the bleeding practically stopped and all pain disappeared at the same time.

What I am wondering is?

Is this normal for a cyst? to bleed out?
Is this the reason that I have not conceived thus far?

Sorry for 'going on' a bit but my doctors are useless. They almost laugh in my face when I talk about how awful this ttc business is making me feel and if I try and tell them that something might be wrong with me.

Feeling really down about the whole situation now and that I am unable to get the help that I need with this.

GaryWilmotsWedding Mon 08-Feb-16 15:11:25

Hi Zoe. Fully understand the frustration of TTC and I'm sorry your doctors have not been more sympathetic. It can turn perfectly sane people completely mad!

I have a history of ovarian cysts and have had them before TTC, during and whilst pregnant (twice)! My understanding is that a simple fluid filled cyst of less than 5cm diameter is usually just monitored. In all cases with mine, they have gone away of their own accord, albeit with some discomfort along the way. I have never become pregnant straight away but it hasn't taken us a stupid amount of time either, so I doubt it's had any effect on my fertility. I am due to go and have another cyst (keeps being different ovaries so I know it's not the same one) checked with a scan next week, but the doctors don't seem concerned. The key difference is that you have had acute pain and bleeding, which I have not - so I would make sure it is thoroughly investigated. The temptation for me is always to ignore any pain I've had once it stops as I am extremely lazy! Be assured though that cysts are hugely common and in the vast majority of cases will not cause you a problem or affect fertility. Do get it checked at 4-5 month intervals if that is what you are diagnosed with to check it is not increasing in size or changing in nature.

Hope it all sorts itself out and you get that BFP soon xx

Zoefitness Mon 08-Feb-16 15:57:53

Aw, thank you so much for your reply. That has really made me feel better. It's bad enough waiting for the egg to meet the sperm but this as well has nearly driven me totally crazy!!

Hopefully, everything should be fine then. Thank you, I know nothing about cysts as you can probably tell!

Oh, the joys of being a lady!!

Thank you again xx

Iwonderif Mon 08-Feb-16 16:07:45

Hi OP, I too have had cysts only small ones but have never bled. My GP told me that cysts don't normally bleed. Please ask GP for referral maybe to gynae if it occurs again or if you're still concerned.

Zoefitness Mon 08-Feb-16 17:06:19

Eeek. How strange then!! It also doesn't explain the breast pain I had. Seriously, my boobs hurt so bad I was in tears. Even the seat belt hurt them.

Iwonderif Mon 08-Feb-16 18:50:46

Has your proper AF turned up OP or do you think your AF was the bleed? The test the doctor did may simply have not picked up enough of the pregnancy hormones?! I don't want to raise your hopes to then dash them but I'm wondering if you're indeed pregnant? Ladies often do have unexplained bleeding and pain in pregnancy. You could of course do a pregnancy test? How late are you?

Zoefitness Mon 08-Feb-16 19:58:56

Hi wonderif.

I'm late by about 8 days. No don't worry your not. Who knows, I was kind of wondering the same thing today. I am very clueless but I have wondered whether I had a miscarriage or am in fact pregnant.
I'm not sure if the bleed was my af or not. I don't think that it was because I only bled for two days (I think it was).

I'm having a scan on Saturday so we'll see I'm sure

Thanks so much for your post though, it's really helpful to me. Have been feeling so alone in this.

PurplePotatoes Mon 08-Feb-16 20:06:14

Hi, I have had a few burst ovarian cysts. I only started getting them after I had my first DD, it took 18 months to conceive DD (I have polycystic ovaries too which is a different sort of cyst) but I actually fell pregnant the first month this time so I don't think it has affected my fertility and the doctor didn't seem to think it would. They said to me that most cysts tend to burst at the end of your monthly cycle which was certainly the case for me, so I did bleed afterwards but it was like a normal period.
Good luck for Saturday I hope you get some good news flowers

Zoefitness Tue 09-Feb-16 00:43:45

Aww thank you Purple and thank you so much for sharing your story. It is so reassuring for me because I have been panicking and thinking the worst. Congratulations on your pregnancy. Xx

nooka Tue 09-Feb-16 00:55:30

My dd has had three cysts in the last eighteen months, two of which took us to A&E. The first burst when she was ovulating, the second didn't burst but was managed with painkillers and went away on it's own (also painful at ovulation) and the third burst during a period. We're waiting for an appointment with a gynae and dd will probably go on the pill (she's only 15 poor sprog). No one seems to think it's a particularly big deal. She's not had any breast pain with the cysts - the first one our GP thought might be appendicitis.

I think you need a referral so you can get some answers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now