Talk

Advanced search

Zika, avoid Caribbean if TTC

(2 Posts)
dratsea Sat 23-Jan-16 09:59:05

Hi, not posted on conception before and I wish all you who are TTC the best. I put this on Chat and in light of responses there I post the link. Essentially if you get this minor infection in early pregnancy there may be a significant risk of serious brain malformation (microcephaly). The incidence of microcephaly has significantly increased (x100? 134 in 2014 and now over 500 a month) and the Brazilians have found it in the brains of 6 of severely afflicted who died and advise delaying pregnancy to those in NE Brazil where the outbreak in concentrated. Yesterday CDC advised against non-essential travel to Caribbean countries if early pregnancy or TTC. PHE have latest list of countries involved.

You cannot get infected in UK. Like rubella it is a problem only in early pregnancy and likewise it is not a concern if you have had a previous infection. It is not problem and of no concern if you have been to the affected countries prior to conceiving.

pickledsausage Sun 24-Jan-16 07:46:19

Oh that's scary! I'm flying to Barbados next Monday and am currently in my 2ww...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now