Acupuncture

(32 Posts)
obsessedlex Tue 19-Jan-16 23:15:12

Just been for my first acupuncture session post a MMC in December - just curious to hear if anyone else had tried it, has any thoughts on it? OH is super sceptical and I'm wondering if it's just throwing money away?

FlourishingMrs Wed 20-Jan-16 23:32:32

I had my very first session today too, I had a miscarriage in December
Dh is away, I have not told him, he will think I will be trying homeopathy
Next....

I don't know if it works, but hey....

What did your therapist say? How many sessions did they recommend? Apart from the weird/nice feeling I got, she really didn't explain much.

obsessedlex Thu 21-Jan-16 21:03:21

Hi.
You sound very similar to me - my OH thinks I'm nuts but I feel good that I'm doing something about it!

obsessedlex Thu 21-Jan-16 21:08:29

I've got another session in a couple of weeks and then again a couple of weeks after that. I'm right in the middle of my cycle at the moment gearing up to ovulate (waiting for oh to get off the phone so I can drag him to bed wink) which she said was a really good thing as she was able to treat me quite aggressively as we know that I'm def not pregnant.
I suffer from migraines and she is going to try to treat me for that too and weirdly I had a migraine today. I've emailed her to see if it could have been caused by the acupuncture and am waiting to hear back from her.
Can I ask where she put the needles on you? Mine were 4 in my legs, 3 in tummy and one at the base of my little finger!

eggsinthefridge Thu 21-Jan-16 21:09:16

I have my third acupuncture session tomorrow (have been going once a week). I have very long and irregular cycles, so I am hoping it helps sort them out. So far, I haven't noticed any differences, but hope it's still just early days.

eggsinthefridge Thu 21-Jan-16 21:11:27

In the first week, I had needles in my back and wrists. The second week, I had them in my ankles and back (although they were not left in my back, he put them in and took them out again). I also had some strange moss type stuff lit on fire on my back..

AngelsWithFilthySouls Thu 21-Jan-16 21:11:51

I went for a session a week after my 4th mmc. I was tracking ovulation and it brought ovulation forward by about 3 days and shortened my cycle to 30 days (previously 35).

Fell pregnant again quickly and that was my successful pregnancy. Continued sessions throughout the pregnancy too. I did also have other treatment during that pregnancy but I genuinely believe acupuncture helped, if nothing else I felt much more positive by at least doing something.

obsessedlex Thu 21-Jan-16 21:15:26

Angels that's great to hear, thank you. I think I am about to ovulate so if that is the case that would have also shortened my cycle by a good few days!

AngelsWithFilthySouls Thu 21-Jan-16 22:13:20

That would be great! Fingers crossed for you.

MagpieCursedTea Thu 21-Jan-16 22:40:46

I've got my first acupuncture session tomorrow. I have irregular cycles and have been bleeding since November. I've heard lots of positive things so I'm very excited. I think DH is more skeptical but is being supportive.
I've got a couple of relatives that have had successful acupuncture treatment for different medical issues, hoping it helps me too.
All the best to everyone else who is having treatment.

Lucinda15 Fri 22-Jan-16 07:20:35

I had my first acupuncture session yesterday. Pins in feet, legs, ears, forehead and collar bones. She was very interesting, a lot of what she said made sense. Said she was working on my kidneys and blood following huge blood loss during previous miscarriage (Jul 15) subsequent mc (Nov 15) and heavy periods since then. Reckons I am not strong enough yet to conceive and need building up. We have booked weekly sessions for a month.

She advised me to not TTC this month as she wants to get me stronger?! But I really want to keep trying.....umming and ahhhing confused anyone been advised the same and kept TTC?

FellOutOfBedTwice Fri 22-Jan-16 07:27:33

I had one months worth after five months ttc and fell pregnant. DH was incredibly sceptical. There were Chinese fertility teas involved too. DD is now 18 months old.

RNBrie Fri 22-Jan-16 07:37:05

I had it when we struggled to conceive dc2. I got pregnant the first month we tried it after 8 months ttc.

I have no idea what was happening at the time or if it helped, Dc1 & Dc3 were both conceived first month of trying but dc2 was tricky (and still is!!)

I also had it to help with morning sickness with Dc1 & 3 and found it effective.

I am extremely skeptical about alternative therapies generally but I begrudgingly admit there must be something in it (I do keep going back after all!) even if it's just the effect of relaxation and the positive feeling of doing something to help.

obsessedlex Fri 22-Jan-16 12:05:02

This certainly sounds like it does make a difference, that's great! Thank you x

redstrawberries101 Fri 22-Jan-16 12:17:09

Hi! I had a Mmc 2.5 weeks ago. I'm interested in acupuncture as I've heard it can help regulate hormones. I thought I would have an issue conceiving as the doctors suspected I have a mild form of PCOS since my prolactin levels are high. However I fell pregnant first cycle. I just hope my body bounces back after the miscarriage so want to try something like this.

Does anyone know if you need to wait a certain time after miscarriage before trying acupuncture? I've pretty much stopped bleeding but just getting a bloody type of discharge. Apologies for tmi.

obsessedlex Fri 22-Jan-16 12:52:53

I would think sooner the better Mel, as soon as you are ready xx

Beansprout30 Fri 22-Jan-16 19:23:18

I am convinced acupuncture helped me concieve, after trying for 18 months I finally got pregnant after weekly acupuncture sessions for two months. My acupuncturist said she thought it would take a couple of months to get my body in balance and she was spot on

VillageFete Sat 23-Jan-16 09:29:57

I started acupuncture in August last year and had my last session end of November. For me personally I found it very uncomfortable and didn't enjoy it. That being said, when I started acupuncture my cycle could be as long as 37 days, by the time I finished it, it was between 28-32 days. I genuinely believe it helped regulate my cycle and through eating a bit healthier, stressing less, getting more sleep I seem to have kept it up. My last 2 have been 28 days. I still haven't conceived, but we'll see.

eggsinthefridge Sat 23-Jan-16 12:42:56

VillageFete can I ask how often you had acupuncture? At the moment, my cycle is 70 days, so I am mainly looking for acupuncture to help reduce this. At the moment, I am going weekly, but after I have had 4 treatments (next week is my fourth), I am going to be going to monthly appointments. My acupuncturist is aiming for this monthly appointment to be before ovulation, but at the moment with my cycle being 70 days, I'm not sure how this would help.

VillageFete Sat 23-Jan-16 14:41:06

Hi eggs I went weekly, my acupuncturist told me I needed to hmm I couldn't keep it up past 3.5 months as it was too expensive, but I believe my lifetsyle change also contributed to regulating my cycle. Lots of dark greens, some red meat, lots of raspberries, cutting down on caffeine, less stress & more sleep. Monthly will still be beneficial, and it supposedly boosts your egg quality. Good luck with it all x

BlessThisMess Sat 23-Jan-16 19:21:20

It worked for me! DD(14) is the result. I was ttc for about a year and didn't conceive until I had the acupuncture.

JayBeanie Sat 23-Jan-16 21:26:33

I had acupuncture after coming off the pill and having no period for 9 months. I was completely sceptical but figured anything was worth a try. After 2 sessions I had a period and pretty quickly went to regular 30 day cycles. I also sleep better, don't get up for a wee in the night so often and just feel better in myself. I'm now a complete believer and at 5 weeks pregnant I'm convinced the acupuncture had a massive part to play. I would recommend all day long!!

redstrawberries101 Sat 23-Jan-16 21:35:28

Sounds really positive! I'm going to find someone local on Monday. Someone recommended napiers.

totalnamechanger Sat 23-Jan-16 22:06:11

Sorry if I've repeated anything anyone else has said as I've just scanned through this thread before bed but Lucinda I saw an acupuncturist just after a chemical pregnancy over six months ago and she said the same to me as yours did to you. I didn't plan to obey (!) but actually didn't have much opportunity over the next few months as DH was working away at key times plus other things. I only saw her a couple of times as she moved.

Then a had a couple of sessions in October / November with a new acupuncturist with a different approach. She doesn't take pulse/look at tongue for fertility for example. I was in very early pregnancy when I saw her the second time last year and she guessed it but I didn't know or think I could possibly be. That ended in early miscarriage but it was painless and emotionally handleable and I feel very relaxed and in good health. (I'm still in the post miscarriage cycle due period in a few days ). I'm 41 btw so chance of miscarriage is higher. I have no idea what old acupuncturist would think about my readiness but I saw the non pulse one again two weeks ago and she seems to think it's fine to press on. She's also a GP.

I think I respond very strongly to acupuncture. I have felt things that can't be down to chance. My son (2.5) was conceived the month after my first ever fertility acupuncture session after six months of trying. Now that could be down to chance smile

totalnamechanger Sat 23-Jan-16 22:07:10

Last para to obsessedlex!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now