We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Trying to conceive after pill

(11 Posts)
alice87m Sun 17-Jan-16 09:22:29

Hi

I have been on the pill for around 10 years. I came off it for around 6 months a few years ago and my periods quickly returned. We have decided to start trying for a baby so I came off the pill on Dec 14th. I had 'period' later that week which I think is called the withdrawal bleed. Since then, I haven't had any sign of my periods returning. Im trying not to worry as I know its early days but when you decide you want a baby you want to get pregnant right away! I did a pregnancy test just in case but it was negative. Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you smile

PurpleTreeFrog Sun 17-Jan-16 09:29:53

Do another pregnancy test in a few days or a week or so, just in case! I got pregnant shockingly fast after coming off the pill. Missed my first period since stopping the pill by a day or two, took a test just in case, was negative. About a week later, in the car on the way to work I suddenly felt extremely sick and the doctor asked if I could be pregnant - I told her that I couldn't possibly be pregnant as I already took a negative test. But it planted a seed of doubt in my mind so when I got home I took another test, lo and behold it was positive this time!

Otherwise don't worry about it. You're only overdue one period going by the dates you mention. Your body is probably just adjusting to being off the pill. It'll sort itself out!

Don't forget to take folic acid already smile

MiddleClassProblem Sun 17-Jan-16 09:30:48

I think when I came off (been on 13 years) it took 3 periods and I thought it would take longer to get the drugs out my system. Everyone is different though and I found using a period tracker app and doing the baby making on my fertile days (the app marked them) was key.

alice87m Sun 17-Jan-16 09:44:13

Thank you..I know I need to calm down but it's in my nature to worry! Started taking folic acid straight away smile I think I'll leave doing another test until I'm pretty sure as it was disappointing when it was negative! It's just so frustrating. Thanks for the advice!

alice87m Sun 17-Jan-16 09:45:42

PS How do you know when your fertile days are if you haven't had a real period yet? I've got an app but not sure where to start! Thanks

Sunnydays321 Sun 17-Jan-16 10:07:29

Hi Alice. Our bodies can do really odd thinks after coming off the pill. As purple tree frog said some people get pregnant almost immediately, and others it takes a year + to get out of their system. I had also been on the pill for about 13 years. I had a break about 7 years ago and it took 20 months for me to have my 1st period! (Also took my sister 10 months when she stopped). I stopped my pill again 6 months ago after our wedding, took just over 3 months to get my 1st period, then iv had 2 since, not regular but getting shorter.. So this time off the pill is quite different to last time I stopped pill. Hang in there, it will settle. I did a pregnancy test once a fortnight/one a month until period turned up just to make sure. (You can get really cheap ones on Amazon other wise it could cost a fortune!!).

We have a busy thread called "cycles a mess from the pill, waiting to conceive" ... But all of us on it ARE now trying to conceive so the title is a bit misleading! grin come on over, loads of support, tips and sharing frustrations x

Sunnydays321 Sun 17-Jan-16 10:08:47

Sorry 10 months not 20 months for 1st period.

alice87m Sun 17-Jan-16 10:17:38

Thanks! I will come over!

Sunnydays321 Sun 17-Jan-16 10:20:10

See you over there grin x

alice87m Sun 17-Jan-16 12:43:47

Is this the thread you mean? www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/2452018-Waiting-to-try-and-cycle-a-mess-from-the-pill

Sunnydays321 Sun 17-Jan-16 16:43:55

Yeah that's the one x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now